What Happened to the Super Lawn Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tommy Boy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

They came on like gang busters, but in this economy? Anyone bought one or run one?

2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

They were just toooooo expensive. I priced one a few years ago and it was damn near $70k...

3. EagleGrounds

EagleGrounds LawnSite Senior Member

I really dont even like them to tell the truth! Id rather have a good pick up and trailer to haul waste in, with SLT, your limited on how you haul your waste'

And they just seem to bulky....

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

are you saying they've gone out of business?

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Web site is still up........

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Who cares? I think their trucks look cool, if I ever win the lottery....maybe I will consider one. There are a lot of guys on here who have basically put together similar set ups for a LOT less.

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

A lift gate and a couple of gas caddys from northern hydraulics and you have the basic truck right there.

They were really cool looking but for the price you can set up 2 new box trucks yourself.

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

All I know is you can get a 00-02' Isuzu box truck for 6k spend 1k on the dovetail and you have a truck that will do virtually the same thing.

Our city has one with the crew cab NPR the thing is sweet looking.

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I used to drive one when I worked at Austin Outdoor in Florida. They were pretty cool. They had like six or more of them. My picture is actually plastered on the side of two of them. I thought that was pretty funny.

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Yea Tony Bass is still in business he also does green industry coaching/consulting. The trucks are expensive and you can build them for less but you don't seem to put much value on your time. If you got the $$ amount you want to charge your clients for your time to find the parts, order them make a % on materials like all good businesses do then install them and warranty etc. You would find they are not such a bad deal.

That is why the price seems high. Just like your clients telling you "your only paying that guy 10 bucks an hour how come you are charging me $ 50 or 60?"

Tony was also the innovator, prior to him no one had done the super lawn type truck, and you know a fella wants to get paid for his innovation.

My trailer which is my version of a super lawn truck cost me almost 9-K tp put on the road but you know what. I picked it up and loaded it with equipment and it was on the road the next day making money. Previously I had the "got to save a buck mentality" and I spent a month building stuff to get them like I wanted and they never looked as professional.

If you don't have the $$ you do it yourself. When you have the money you realize your time has more value.