1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What happened to this blue spruce ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Emerscape, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

Ive attached 2 pictures of a blue spruce at one of my clients properties. Unfortunately all i had was my camera phone but my client said that it was covered with catepillars. Ive not seen catepillars each a spruce before but what do u guys think?

Damaged Blue Spruce.jpg

Damaged Blue Spruce 2.jpg
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got 6 just like that one. Down here it is attributed to not having cold enough winters....and this idiot has them next to driveway...can you say "heat"?
  3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

4. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Gypsy moth cats will tear up spruce in a hurry also.
  5. broske

broske LawnSite Member

You said that the trees were covered with worms.It might be some kind of sawfly.They can do a number on many variety of trees and shrubs.
  6. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I would ventur to say its from the sawfly larvea if they have seen catepillars feeding, I beleive the common sawfly for the spruce is the yellowheaded sawfly. Best to trat when larvea are active however may be too late for this year, you will need to treat next year near the time for infestation. most the time spruce can recover from this defoliation but if too severe they will die.
  7. broske

broske LawnSite Member

Your best bet is to do a soil injection with merit when the buds on the tree are developing.I use the kioritz injector 2oz of merit with 30oz of water.Good residual effect and effective against spider mites,spruce gall adelgid,and many others.Good luck.