What happened to this lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jondcoleman, Sep 20, 2007.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Can someone help me out here? Any ideas? Thanks!

2007.09.20 026.jpg

2007.09.20 029.jpg

2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a little history? How fast did this damage accrue? Over what period of time. Where is this damage and how much of the lawn has it? It looks like its in the shade of a tree. What has been applied to the lawn? Is it an irrigated property? What type of use does the lawn see? Dog? Kids? Who mowes it and how often? What type of grass is it? Looks like bluegrass, perennial rye mix.

3. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like summer patch.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I was thinking recent meteor showers...

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Spot in front of statue looks a little different than the rest.

Otherwise it looks to me like drought burnout. Followed by a few days of rain and partial recovery. We have lots of lawns like this, especially in sunny areas. Usually it looks ok in the shade on the north side of the house.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Looks like what we're seeing.......old drought damage on Kentucky bluegrass. Reason I say this is cuz the grass that survived is nice & green (so you are doing your job properly). Looks like new grass plants emerging as well. I'm guessing lack of water plus low mowing earlier this summer, so the homeowner did not do his part. If he cancels, so be it. we took 3 cancellations this week because of "summer burnout" due to low mowing, and that's fine by me, cuz we don't need idiots that keep mowing under two inches and never water.

7. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I second that.

8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever happened is ancient history now unless it is grubs which you can tell with a shovel and your eyeballs. What needs to be done is to aerate, overseed, starter fert, and water water water.

9. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

This damage seemed to happen over the summer and is in the front lawn that gets a lot of sun. I have applied two applications of .5 lbs nitrogen in the spring (march, may) and one app of .75 nitrogen in mid July. I blanket sprayed it with Momentum FX herbicide in May and spot sprayed in July. We had an extreme drought in August and the homeowner claims to water it but I don't know how often. No dogs and no kids. We mow it weekly (3.5 during the summer). Don't know what type of grass it is (I was assuming tall fescue just because that it the majority around here but I haven't inspected it. I'm not experienced in identifying grass types but will check it out next time i'm there.) What makes you think that it is the bluegrass, perennial rye?

Does fertilizer and then drought increased the chance of burnout?

Is summer patch a disease and what causes it?

Thanks for all the help! I hope I can be a help to some of you all too sometime!

Jon

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

They always claim they water it. If it looks better in the shade it is lack of water. I was thinking it was rye grass. Fairly narrow leaf blade. Does not stand heat, if dry. Rye has no rhizomes so it cannot creep back in to fill in bare spots.

Tall fescue is more persistant in the heat. Wider leaf blade. Prominent veins in leaf.

Ask to see the guys water bill. Compare with your own. Does he own a hose?