1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What hardscape surface holds up the best on clay soils?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dustin Mustangs, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Dustin Mustangs

Dustin Mustangs LawnSite Member

I'm looking to put a substantial patio on my house this spring / summer. It will be about 1500sft and will go along one side and the back of my central-west Michigan house that is on a walkout lot. I've looked into the different material options a bit and seem to be able to find something I like aesthetically in pretty much every offering (pavers, stamped conc, natural stone, ect.).

My question is, given the very high level of clays present in my soil, which type of patio surface will stay looking good and be structurally sound the longest? Also, are there any special methods or materials I should use when installing a surface on clay in addition to what the manufacturer generically recommends for his product?? I am likely going to be in this house for a while so I'd like this thing to last!

Thanks in advance...