1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What has happened to this forum?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightScenes, Jul 1, 2007.

1. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

There was a time, not too long ago, when people could make a post on this forum without worry of someone degrading them or slamming them. It's too bad that some people make themselves out to be professionals, then treat people in ways that show different. It seems to be spreading like a cancer and I can see why others stay away.

I used to be proud to be part of this forum but I can't say that any longer. It was great while it lasted but it is not something that I am willing to watch happen any longer. I hope that I have helped this industry by helping raise the bar and lending advice without pushing people down. I will participate in other forums where professionalism is still alive and well.

God bless and please "do it right".

2. High Performance Lighting

High Performance Lighting LawnSite Senior Member
    from So Cal

I agree with some of your message and fully support your leaving. Let us know if you need a letter of recommendation at your new forum. fare well.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

well thats human nature i suppose, most people who have built up their companys, and have alot of new expensive equipment, down the new guy with his little 21 inch mowers and handheld blowers, hell i do it sometimes, dont usually mean to but it happins.

4. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

Well said GoldPro. I am sick and tired of having my 21" mower downed so to speak.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I think its really sad that some members decide they no longer wish to participate. You dont have to take anything anyone says to heart. Anyone can talk smack on the net.

Heck 90% of the time I come off like a smarty pants. I just really proud at all the homework I have done and what I have accomplished thru hard work and determination considering the doctors told me I would never walk again and I got many other disadvantages.

Paul. Please think twice about leaving. You offer up some very valuble info and really helped get me off the ground with lighting. With out some of the originals like Kirk and yourself I would of been up to my AZZ in wires and fixture placement. Afterall it was your photo thread that really opened my eyes to lighting and me deciding o persue being the very best I can at this.

Me and my clients salute you. This ones for you! God Bless!

:drinkup: :drinkup:

Now I think we should all bury our differences right here and now and rememeber our real passion here is for lighting. Some of us have a MUCH more bold way of doing business. Some of us are struggeling out of the gate while others of us are on the verge of our own big boom in the business while yet others of us are just high end homeowners lining thier driveway with cheesy fountains waiting to be soaped :laugh: :laugh:

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Unfortunatly I find myself doing that all the time. Seems everytime I turn around there is some guy cutting prices down on lawn care and he has 2 or 3 crapsman mowers and curved shaft weedeaters in the back of his truck. Sad part is some of em do really stellar work.

Comes down to the guy not the equip... we shouldnt judge our brothers.

7. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Paul,

Thank you for helping me with my business model. I have gone with a lighting specific logo/identity, I am getting away from aluminum without believing in just one manufacturer, I am learning code as much as possible, I will continue research even after I get the ball rolling, and I'll suggest lighting metallic balls with dynamite whenever possible.

I still think that Mr. G is the baddest dude in lighting, but I think some people need to get off his duck, and for such a successful guy, he should be a little less threatened by others.

Did you ever wonder why he works alone? Hmmmmm. Lighting entrepreneur conquistador yes, Mr. Congeniality, maybe in training but not quite there yet.

--Maxwell M.

(assuming another identity in fear of response)

8. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

yet others of us are just high end homeowners lining thier driveway with cheesy fountains waiting to be soaped

Billy, no wonder you won't respond to my PM--you are still mad at me for that goofy post.

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I hear ya paul- I've posted what, 800 posts over at the lawncare side of this site, and I have never seen others downed like they are here. I mention some things, and it's like some folks here are mighty prickly. they're ok as long as you don't question what THEY do, although they can tell you what to do all day long. you question them, and they get huffy. facts don't matter,etc.

read a few dozen posts over on the lawn side and you'll see there seems to be a nature of genuine information exchange, sharing ideas and maybe some debate, but no attacks or downers. If someone says they like echo, some folks might say they use stihl, and had problems with echo, but the echo guy or the stihl guy doesn't come back and basically call the other person stupid.

The lighting side of this site needs more folks, not less, paul. please don't leave.

10. High Performance Lighting

from So Cal

"still think that Mr. G is the baddest dude in lighting, but I think some people need to get off his duck, and for such a successful guy, he should be a little less threatened by others.

Did you ever wonder why he works alone? Hmmmmm. Lighting entrepreneur conquistador yes, Mr. Congeniality, maybe in training but not quite there yet."

Mike I think you pretty well hit the nail on the head with your assessment. Yes, I am the baddest dude in landscape lighting , Nightscapes knows it and is terribly intimidated by my presence that's why he left (trust me he'll be reading every day). He's probably upset since he can't get more opportunity to spam the board and promote his association. The day I stepped foot in this forum his nightmare came true. Mincing words is a waste of time and energy. Some in here are just lying in wait waiting to pounce, looking for anything they could attack me on or expose to try and knock me down a peg. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am not perfect, don't know it all, am only human and make mistakes too. I also will tell you that I was wrong in my anger towards Eddie Eden lights Clemons. He was questioning my credibility and trying to trip me up in multiple posts but he is a damn good lighter with solid credentials. You would never see that egomaniacal nightscapes come close to making that admission in this or any other forum. All is wine and Roses when he's getting lathered up . Somebody steals his thunder and he's off to another forum in a huff to find some other new comers to impress who don't know any better and massage his ego. There is a very unusual dynamic here- You help others by giving good advice, post photos to show you know what you're doing and speak of your accomplishments.What you get in return by some are resentment , questioned, criticised and challenged, most times without merit. Don't do any of that and it's figured you're a wall flower who knows nothing.