1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What has your mower " Ate "

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighlandLC, Sep 19, 2008.

1. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

Mowing yesterday, and found a 3/8" 4 Foot long piece of rebar. Mower bent it into a nice pretzel, and the fresh blades I put on were dulled a bit, but no damage. Hell of a noise, scarred me too :dizzy:

Last year it was a small concrete lawn bunny that my kid had hidden on my own yard.

After yesterday, its another reason I love the toughness of my Scag, and why their ZTR keeps moving up my list of next mower.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

A steel bicycle footpeg...cut it right in half and couldnt even see where it hit the blade.

A ground rod, shaved the top off nicely...wont be hitting it again since its at the correct mowing height now.

A chunk of concrete...had ran over it for weeks, it was imbedded in the ground...well this time it decided to come out after the front wheels dislodged it...that took some chunks out of the blade...some of the concrete got stuck between the turbo force baffle and the deck and came out later while I was mowing.
  3. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I ran over a old front porch 3' x 4' welcome mat last week. The homeowner put it in some tall grass and I didn't see it. You should have heard the sound it made. I didn't know what had happened. The Hustler cut it in about 50 pieces.
    Just this season the highlights have been a baseball, several golf balls, tennis ball, 2 live snakes and a long dead squirrel(my personal favorite). I didn't know how far a mower would throw a golf ball until I hit one--well over 50 yards. Thank God nobody was in the way.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Sucked in (did not run over) a tin plant holder from one of my nice, fast paying, old ladies lawns. Mangled it. Had to bring it to her door and explain myself, offered to pay what it was worth. Her comment "Gee, I didn't even know that thing was gone." Whew!

Also, mower eats lots of dog dung. I despise that, pick that crap up.
  5. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

some body else's caster (church's) assembly off of a ya-zoo mower that rusted off and shot into the other yard ,they don't work very hard at maintaining their equipment . made a heck of a racket flying out from under the grasshopper .nothing a good sharpening couldn't handle ,went over and gave the piece to the guy mowing ,he don't even notice it cutting bad ,and handed it to him .
  6. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

baby rabbits in tall grass, snakes, dead birds, and most of all, paper...instead of picking up one piece of paper, turned out i was picking up 20 little pieces of paper.:cry:
  7. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

Countless Snakes, Extention cords, a few hoses, a well head, thats about it.
  8. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Baby rabbit as I was mowing around a small tree,, I didn't even see it, heard a noise then saw a puff of fur come out the mower deck. Aluminum mole trap,, my Toro 117GM and 52" deck just chewed it up. Rich customer didn't want $$$ for it but I ended up buying a new 1:18 model of their special edition green 2002 Thunderbird and didn't ask to be payed for it. One lawn near a pond had dozens of baby frogs crawling all over the lawn. I could barely move the mower without running over or sucking them up with the mower deck.
  9. jwynncmi

jwynncmi LawnSite Member

One of my employees threw a piece of 3/4" re-bar into the door of an F-250 last year with a 72" diesel JD. Gotta love insurance. Most expensive was pebble gravel into a huge glass window from the edger.
  10. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

I think Golf balls are the most worrysome, they are nearly indistructable, and fly farther than most other junk.