What have I done

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigivyland, Feb 13, 2005.

1. bigivyland

bigivyland LawnSite Member

Ok here's the deal
    I had a Biz in CA for 17 years. We moved to NC over a year ago and I just got a grounds job at the local college. Just after this job was offered to me I bought 29 accounts off a local landscaper who moved west. I thought no problem the college job will get me through the winter then I'll quit and dive into my biz. The problem is that I love this college job, the pay is terrible but it is a blast working there and the people have become like family. I see some of you guys have full time jobs and then go to work aftre work. I used to be able to do this, but not any more. Any one have an idea on how I could do both? I am afraid these new clients will need personal contact in the beginning. I thought of teaming up with another Asheville NC landscaper and working out some kind of deal. Any of you guys tried this? I just can not find an employee serious enough to take this job on. Thanks for the help

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would sell the accounts to someone else if you dont want to mess with them.
    29 accounts are really not enough to partner with someone or even enough to pay someone to do them for you.
    But you really didnt say how much income we talking about or what each job entails?

3. bigivyland

It is about $3,500.00 per month and the jobs are simple mow blow goes. You make a good point. I am on the fence enjoying this cake job but really missing the independence that I am used to.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Thats a pretty good start on a LCO biz. You could double or triple that in a few years depending on how aggressive you solicit business and the quality of your work.
    BUt if you did the above you would need to hire a helper or 2. The problem that you would occur trying to grow your business in the south at this time is the huge influx of laid off textile workers coming into the LCO trade.
    At 45, you would also need to consider the rising health Insurance cost. Even with a helper you would be working very hard to service 60 plus accounts you need to survive full time in a seasonal business

5. bigivyland

Thanks Charles
    That is some good feedback. Just last night I go two calls from my new clients, went into the garage and looked at all that equipment ready to go. I realized I just am not ready to park my butt in a government job yet. You are so right about this health care issue, but I will just get some high deductible. Down here we have many high end clients who know the Pros are the way to go, it looks like I am heading back to the Biz