What have the best combination of mower sizes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman79, Feb 12, 2006.

1. lawnman79

lawnman79 LawnSite Member

I am just starting a new small lawn company and I've got a 21" and a 36".
    I think I will be needing 1 more larger mower due to some of the larger yards.
    What size should I get that will be most versital on most all yards?
    Ant suggestions???

a 48"-52"-60"

And what brand have you found leaves your lawns looking best?

2. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

48" hydro walk behind, SCAG or Bob-Cat Will leave a nice cut. A lot of people like Exmark, but I can't comment on them, never had one. JMO

3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

A 52" from the same mfr as your 36" may use the same blades. You would need a set of 3 blades for the 52", a set of 2 for the 36". But the same blades.

4. lawnman79

lawnman79 LawnSite Member

thanks for the help.

5. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with a 52" unless you really have some large properties (I don't know the market you are after) then the 60" would be a better choice. 52" is probably the most versatile size mower IMHO.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I would eventually like to have a 44" Dixon ZTR, a 36" Toro hydro WB, and a John Deere 21" walk behind. I think that would cover all the bases for a one man crew (like myself). I know a lot of poeple dont like Dixon's, but around here, that is what almost everyone use. I am pretty happy with my Dixon, and am pretty sure my next mower will be another Dixon. Probablly the SpeedZTR44.

[​IMG]

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the 52 unless you have lots of larger residential/commercial properties.

Man is it just me or do those dixon mowers look cheaply built? Not trying to bash anyone but dam...

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

What looks cheap about them?

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

That's not a "commercial" model technically... No, they aren't very Heavy machines weight wise. Even the 50" or 52" Kodiak (which is the middle size commercial machine) weighs in at 737 pounds. I owned an similar sized Exmark and have demoed several other brands and I have yet to see a reason why they are all 1,100 to 1,200 pounds for the same "size" machine. All that weight does nothing for them other than compact soil and make them harder to turn without tearing the turf. Yes, a heavier machine rides a little more smoothly, but the tires are larger on the other brands of machines too.

How a machine is built with heavier steel then the next is about the only way manufacturers can say their machine is "better" than the others. Just because their mower can take heavy artillery fire in combat dosn't make it a better machine in my book... I judge by cut, maneuverability, ease of service, and ease of operation. Hop on one of those "cheaply built" lighter machines once and you will see a huge difference in how fast they respond to the controls and how much easier it is to zip in, out and around obstacles.

I will now step off my soapbox once again... :)

10. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick with what you have, until you have a few customers under your belt.....I could have used a 21" all last year.....the 36" was used a couple of times....if I had to do it all over again, a good 21" and a new Phazer is all I would need....my 36" is for sale!!!