What have we learned ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EastProLawn, Jul 10, 2004.

1. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So, here we are in July already and I'm sure we have had some good days, but I bet there has been alot of bad ones too. So what's on the list of changes for next year:

1) No more Bi-Weekly accounts ?

2) Get more help ?

3) Advertise less / more ?

4) Bigger / smaller machines or equipment ?

5) Dump a few of the PITA customers ?

and so on and so on. Tell me what's on your list !

2. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

More advertisment... Every house will get a vinyl sign at the beginning of the season....

Oh and contract be made more specific...

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Your list is my list my friend. But all these things which annoy me I forget about over the winter, and by the next spring I've forgotten my list.

The only thing I would add-

1) No weekend work (LOL- fat chance at that!)

4. EastProLawn

My sentiments as well... LOL big time.

5. EastProLawn

Have to add one to my list:

No more lawns with owners that won't pickup after their dogs.

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have began to make a list... Whenever i think of something i jot it down.

There will be a major reworking to the current service agreement, along with several more clauses:

Pick up DogSHIT
    Pick Up hoses
    Pick up toys
    Cover your pool on the day i will be there
    Extra charge for not having bed edging...Today we blew mulch EVERYWHERE!
    Extra charge for changing our schedule...(Guy asks to be mowed later in the week because of a gathering he is having sunday)
    Etc..Etc..Etc..

Trevor

7. dsaldivar

dsaldivar LawnSite Member

I would add:

Educating current customers and prospects on the proper cultural practices of our business. Most customers don't really understand (or don't care.. won't even bother with these accounts next year) that in order for their lawn to be healthy and thrive their are 3 major practices they must do properly (i.e. feed, mow and water).
    Now as a professional service provider you may provide them 2 of the 3 or maybe 1 of the 3. If they don't know how to water or fertilize then your mowing goes for not.

I'm thinking about putting a customer care package together to send to my current customers and also use as a selling tool for prospects in order for them appreciate what we do and that this business is more than just a mow and go industry. I'm also thinking of putting together a monthly newsletter providing tips and other information hoping to spur add on sales.

Well enough of my soap box.
    Keep on keepin on.

Late,
    Danny

8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

....I ain't going to touch that one....

Do you mean a "Cold one" tween jobs?

The towel to wipe sweat?

get real...

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Ooooohhh, Have I learned a lot.. First thing next season, early on, will be heavy advertising.. Absolutely NO biweeklies.. If people don't like my bids, they can go find a fool who will do it for less, Oh did I mention advertising? And I need to take some charm classes... I definately need to improve my sales performance..

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

- pay 2 of my grunt workers a 12 month salary to keep them..also offer them health insurance (they pay half)
    - get starter in late Feb early March in case we have another monsoon season like this year. I never want to get buried like we were this year because of all the rain

-and the most important? not working 80 hours a week so as to have a personal life!!!