1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What have you found?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCL, Jun 6, 2001.

1. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, so its not the most academic post in the world but the other day I was digging a footing for a retaining wall and found an old meat hook and a spoon. Was wondering what's some of the most interesting things you've ever dug up not including utilities:eek: We've dug up some pretty cool marbles, old spoons etc.. but we dug up half of an old mill grindstone during a paver install. Wished it would have been the whole thing. Let's hear what you've found.
  2. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Nothing good. Mostly garbage.

3. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape LawnSite Member

We were transplanting some boxwood in the yard of a small farm near a river.

I was checking the holes to make sure they were of appropriate size when I discovered a hatchet carved out of stone from the indians. I can tell it took someone many hrs of hard work to carve it. It also looks like it has done its share of "chopping!"

I collect a lot of neat stuff, and I have to say this hatchet is one of my prize posessions. To this day I never told the homeowner about what I found.
  4. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I really haven't really found anything nearly as cool as that hatchet that Andrew found. I usually find marbles and an unusually high number of golf balls. The weirdest part is that there is never a course near the house.
  5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

We were moving some firewood prior to some landscaping and found a bag of the customer's daughter's mary jane. She wasn't very nice, so we rehid it in a place we hoped her parents would find.
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

a $20.00 dollar bill under a rock:blob3:
  7. yeah, i know all about that stuff. not personally. but i know about finding it. a friend of mine was thinning some land and found i believe about 3 or 4 plants. good size from what i hear. they disappeared. then i had gone to look at some site plans for this guy, he invited me upstairs and i saw he had about 8 - 10 plants in his living room. good size as well. as far as personally finding things, um i would say hand tools, bottles, stuff like that.
  8. At some of our commercial sites, we find everything.:alien: While taking out a bush 8 years ago, found the customers purse with everything in it still, though quite moldy. She had lost\stolen the purse 3 years previous. Wallet still had over $200 in it. She gave me 1/2 of it to me for our (helper included) honesty. She's been a valuable client since that time.
  9. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

When I purchased my house, had sewer trouble and while trying to find the sewer pipe within the yard found old Ford hub caps from about the forties. Also found a live rattlesnake snake right by my hand when I was pulling them out.
  10. smalltime

smalltime LawnSite Member

Recently found a brass cigarette box from the forties. Found it while clearing a space along the backside of my house. Also found a meat hook from the smokehouse, just a few feet away inside the house.

The cigarette box was pretty cool though, very dirty but it cleaned up. I find bricks everywhere I dig, my house is a 130 year old brick farm house.