What have you had stolen?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 13, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What have you had stolen and what have you done to prevent this from happening again? Has anyone had a large item such as a ZTR, WB, or trailer stolen? I'm sure gas is stolen fairly often.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of years ago we had two 18' dovetail landscape trailers stolen. They had trailers locks and were chained together as well. Hoepfully to prevent this occuring again, I found a more secure place to store them during the off season.

3. anj

anj LawnSite Member

Had weedeater hedge trimmers blowers stolen this season and bought enclosed trailer shortly after.

4. Daniels

Daniels LawnSite Member

Lost a hand held blower (customer gave it to me) no real loss--just lost a unmarked 2 gal can of 50-1 mix Whoops ....

5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Last year, a 4-mix trimmer. This year, a 4-mix stick edger. Policy change so that anything/everything that can easily be picked up and walked off with is locked at all times when not in use. We even use cables to secure gas cans, chemicals, hedge trimmers, etc.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Last October, two RedMax blowers. One 8000 (two months old) and a new 4401. I was cutting a church and didn't have them locked.:angry:

7. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

How bout EVERYTHING 48"w/b 2 trimmers ,edger, rakes,shovels,all tools, trailer,blower, EVERTHING. Happened while I went to home depot to buy locks and a tarp for my equipment YEAH NO JOKE. Best part neghibor saw whole thing came to me a week later and said I thouht it was you with the guy in the truck:cry:. So now im in the process of working on my new shop and just got my pitbull puppy 2 weeks ago.

Later that night was driving and saw my trailer out by the road less than 3 miles from my house yeah. So I decide to do the right thing and call the cops(never again). 2 hours later they show up owner of the property comes out to the road where the trailer was says some women droped the trailer there and said shed be back for it yeah. So the cop told me well sir hook up to your trailer and take it home. Thats it no searching his property no more questions nothing. After 1 hr of me aruging w/ the cop he plainly told me and I quote "sir we dont have time for yor pety problem we have more important thing to take care of sir."

I said well thank you for nothing next time Ill take care of it later then he said he could put me in jail. So for 3 years when I rode by his proprty late at night after work I had a box of roofing nails in my truck, I would just grab a hand ful and toss in his dirt driveway :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.

Then erlier this year his house burnt down. AND YES it was him cause when my neighbor descrided the truck old blue chevy step side, yeap thats what he drove. sorry bout the long post

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the storys are bad but this one takes the cake. I can't believe your police wouldn't follow up. Would it have done any good to go over the officers head and filed a complaint against the officer or talked to his superiors. The police here would have thrown down thier donuts and been all over this.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

had a $500 husqvarna chain saw taken out of the back on one of the trucks at lunch one day... i almost cried :cry:

10. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

A little off topic but in the four years I've been in buisness I've had very good luck. I haven't had one peice of equipment stolen yet. Thank god!!!