What have you hit with your hedgetrimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yuanding, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Yuanding

Yuanding LawnSite Member
    from England

Leaving aside things like washing lines, digital TV cables etc, what's the thing you most regret hitting with your hedgetrimmer?
    I was cutting an overgrown privet hedge for a one-off customer. It was one of those that's had a chequered history, i.e. not been maintained professionally or even cut regularly, but just been been hacked at occasionally and pushed about and jumped on by the chimpanzee owners.
    Trying to cut the hedge straight for probably the first time in its life, my hedgetrimmer blades hit something hard and immoveable inside the hedge. The blades, hitting something they couldn't cut, tried to loop the loop, and I was left with a gaping quarter inch of daylight between the two blades at the end between the last two fixing bolts.
    I peered inside the hedge to see the offending article - an iron bedstead, complete with springs and castors, that had obviously been shoved in there at some time to fill a gap.
    Nowadays if I get called to view a garden and it looks like a bomb-site, I tell the client I only do "civilised" gardens and walk away.

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i caught my leg the other day. not too bad of a cut, but it sure hurt. ruined my jeans too.

and today i was pruning and found some type of nest, after i got stung i didnt bother to check what type it was, but it hurt too.

3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

well I'm going to violate one of the post rules, but last week I hit a cable tv coax. Customer had a cable that he had run out to his patio to hook a tv to and had just laid it across the hedge. He wasn't too upset. I told him I had some coax at home and would replace it but he said he would take care of it no problem. It was his fault for leaving it laying there

Couple years ago I hit a propane line with the hedge trimmer. Yes it ruptured. Yes I about chet myself. was at least smart enough to know where the shutoff valve on the tank was. Called up a buddy that works for a propane co and he came out off the clock and fixed it.

4. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

my finger. doesnt look to bad here but ended up having to go to the ER and glue it and splint it. turns out it went clear to the bone and chipped it.

[​IMG]

5. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Did that last year. Quickly found shutoff, repair was minimal, but scared the sheot out of me.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Hit my knee a while back. I posted pics of it and everyone who had done it recognized the cut. $950 for 3 stiches. I was looking at an extended reach trimmer the other day and thinking, hmmmm? I don't THINK I can hurt myself with that one! Tony

7. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I hit a propane line that the gas company just coiled up and left in the hedge rather than cutting it to the proper length. Luckily I was able to shut off the valve without having a fire flare up.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I went to an extended reach hedge trimmer and that eliminated the chance of the hedge trimmer getting into your legs. Also helps so you don't have to bend over to do shorter shrubs and eliminates a ladder on the taller ones.

I shredded a pair of pants with the hand held style.

Worst thing I've hit, took a chunk of siding out when I slipped on a big rock.

9. RyKR

RyKR LawnSite Member

I don't use hedge trimmers very often but my mom would cut the extension cord, without fail, every time she used hers.

10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Preachin' to the choir!

I was trimming an old privet hedge that had been swallowed up by ivy - ancient ivy, of some proportion - to the point that the hedge was tottering and listing every which way under the weight. And the dim-witted measure of "correction" for the maladjustments? Angry half-inch metal pipe, staggered higgeldy-piggeldy.

Yep. . . took out a couple of teeth on my power shears that day.

:realmad:

I gotta suhweet zig-zag scar above my right knee, the tell-tale sign of "When Power Hedge-trimmers Attack!"