1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What have you hit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Oct 28, 2004.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just curious if I'm the only one who comes across "hidden" objects under the leaves while I'm mowing? So far this year I got a garden hose, numerous toys, dog chain, beer bottles/cans, and the best one was the news paper that made a terrible mess. Come to think of it, I think all these items were at apartment buildings.
    proenterprises likes this.
  2. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

I can relate for sure. From coat-hangers, golf balls, my glove (long story but luckly my hand wasn't in it) the usual rocks and stumps none of which sound pretty.

33" troy-bilt
    48" encore
    2 echo SRM-210 straight shaft trimmers
    one 5hp honda leaf blower, one 4hp leaf blower
    homlite backpack blower (i don't know why it's lasted so long and still runs great)
    22" hedge trimmer
    3hp edger
    earthway commerical spreader
    5hp chipper
    10" brick saw
    trim mower
    22" dethatcher
    2 parents that say school comes first (yeah like that will ever happen my brain only thinks about one thing, landscaping)
  3. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I've hit beer cans, stumps, rocks that bent the blade, I also hit my work glove, a golf ball
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I get a kick out of snakes thinking they made it only to see them sucked under the mower deck like spaghetti.
  5. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I think the worst buried object I ever hit was a 5/8" socket. Came flying out from under my Lawnboy. Missed my face by about 2 feet. That scared the living crap outta me. Of course it to was at an apartment complex. Another time I was there, I came narrowly close to running over a STEAK knife. And complex owners wonder why we charge so much.
  6. cash_money

cash_money LawnSite Member
    from usa

the worst thing i hit was a big rock,i was glad i had my odce closed cuz it would have shot out at a car.
  7. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

had to mention it did'nt you ..... just today, me and a worker were mowing.. he hit a rock that was under a swing set and covered in leaves.. so changed that blade... so i went back there and was mowing in a different spot BAM i hit 2 rocks.. so ya that was wonderful... 3 gator BLADES GONE! i hate leaves for that reason.... but i have hit golf balls, base balls, 1 newspaper boy was that fun LOL.... thats all i can think of off the top of my head/....
  8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Wasn't in leaves just tall grass. I hit a lrg quick coupler impact sprinkler like the ones on the opening credits to Caddy Shack. Made a lot of noise and destroyed blades. I had checked the area first for bottles and such and didn't see it.
  9. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Sucked up a darn concrete sprinkler head donut today. Ruined 1 blade!
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Clearing brush one time and ran over a nest of bunny rabbits with the Outback Billy Goat..never even bogged down. On the mowing side, it's hard to keep track sometimes.My favorite today was a large mushroom, about 6" across, it just exploded everywhere...