1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What health issues come with this job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kaskov, May 9, 2007.

1. Kaskov

Kaskov LawnSite Member

I do this part time and have recently realized that I now have carpel tunnel syndrome. Anyone else care to share any other health problems due to this line of work.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder what's in my lungs, especially in the fall.
  3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

the biggest one that i see ( i'm not an lco) is the one that is the easiest to remedy, hearing damage. lco's work in loud environment. ear muffs and or plugs are an easy fix that i seldom see utilized around here. what makes the problem even worse is that the damage is often slow to show up.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

All the more reason to go to a ZTR or anything other than a pistol grip WB

I imagine we all inhale some nice carcinogens with the fuel handling and for those who handle pesticides....I'm sure ther are some effects.

Loss of hearing... skin cancer, rough/dry skin, misc cuts and bruises....Forlandscapers...back injuries (lifting), ect...
  5. Kaskov

Kaskov LawnSite Member

The problem is with the weedwacker. That's when my hand goes numb the most.
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

probably not Carpel tunnel....When I was driving motorcycles...when i was driving inline 4's they were very "buzzy", mor so than the v-twins...my throtle hand woudl "go to sleep" kinda" I ended up going through severy types of gloves and grips until I found one that kept the buzziness to a minimum...

You migh want want to try a padded fingerless glove to help isolate some of the vibrations inherit with a peice of equipment that runs at 13K rpm...Or try a different hand grip or put extra/different padding on the grips...

How long doe sit take for hand to go numb? is it after prolonged use (20-30 minutes or 5-10 minutes)

I know after an hour a string trimming I'm ready to ghet back on the mower adn I usually "maded" my eomploye's rotate th equipment around to keep bordeom form setting it or a repetitive stress injury... like CT from happening.

just some thoughts....
  7. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

A higher risk of skin cancer.
  8. sdelorey494103

sdelorey494103 LawnSite Member
    from Capecod

like said up there earlier the hearing thing is a huge one. I know plenty of people who are in their mid 40's and have lost there hearing due to loud eiquipment.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Health issues? Let's see...

1. dog bites
    2. bee stings
    3. sunstroke
    4. pita customers
    5. depression
    6. cuts, scrapes, and brusies
    7. objects thrown from a nearby mower or trimmer

I'm sure there are a few hundred more. :laugh:
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Probably the biggest is stress...

Either at the time when you're trying to get business, or waiting for the next check to come in the mail.

You're almost always dependant on the weather, waiting for it to rain, then mow like mad because it's raining too much.

There's way to eliminate some of the stress, ie flat rate monthly contracts, but there's still other things that'll replace it.