1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What hedge prunners do you guys like

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B_gerrits, May 3, 2008.

1. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

My hedge prunner took a dump it was a cub cadet I had problems with it from the start my advice is cub cadet is crap. What hedge prunners have you guys found that is not underpowered, last for a long time, and doesn't cost a ton of money?
  2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have a pair of Mauryama HT2200's that are about 11 years old. I think back then I paid close to $400 for them and have made thousands upon thousands of dollars off of them. I just bought a new pair yesterday, same model but in a 30 inch rather than the 24 inch like I had. I love them and they will cut just about anything. If you want to abuse the blades I have cut 1 1/2 inch dia. limbs with them. I paid $386 and some change after tax. I guess you could go buy another 200 dollar pair and in 2 years spend another 200 bucks or pay the extra and have something that will last if you take care of them. Also they come with a 5 year commercial warranty.
  3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a maruyama hedge at my dealer. Waay to expensive for what I'm doing though. I got the echo hc150. I might get a maruyama or redmax when I start doing a lot of hedge work.
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

You just bought a HC150!!!! I have one, It is ok but I am going to buy a better one!!!! It is too short and I found I alway have to reach out to cut and is very tiring!!! And that sucker is LOUD!!!

Maruyama usually are cheaper in my dealer. In January, my dealer have the 30" single edge CARB II model with the better 1.1 hp CER230 engine for $289!!!!

I am in the market of either a 30" regular trimmer or a short reach hedge clipper. I am comparing between Redmax SHTZ2401 Husqvarna 326HE, maybe Shindaiwa M242 with short reach articulate hedge trimmer attachment. Just need to find out which is the quietest.

You didn't answer my question whether the Redmax Strato engine is quieter compare to other similar engines. Particular with the Echo HC150. Please let me know your experience. Thanks.:waving:
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have Echo's HC150 and their good trimmers but my older Efco trimmers run smoother and aren't as loud and have tons of power when compared to my newer Echo's. Tanaka also makes a very good hedge trimmer.
  6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

For pruners a felco #2.
  7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Splurge and get the double blade, you will not regret it at all ;)
  8. yungman

from Calif.

For those who have the HC150. I had it for 3 years. It never cut good since day one. I gone through the whole trouble shoot, open the gear box, check timing and all. Finally I found the problem. They put greese between the blades, they dry out from sitting in the box new, even if you adjust the bolts according to instruction, it don't cut well at all. Finally, I used a puddy knife with gasoline and scrape the crap out. Now it cut very well. Watch out. Double check that.

To me it is just too short, it is so tiring to keep reaching. Sucker is LOUD!!! It is at least twice as loud as my Shindaiwa C4 blower and at least 4 times louder than my Honda stuff.

Anyone have opinion on a quiet 2 cycle hedge trimmer, let me know.
  9. yungman

from Calif.

Agree, I just quote the price. Double the blades, double the time before sending to sharpening. I typed it wrong, I am more looking at the Redmax CHTZ2401L if I go with a regular trimmer. Maybe a Maruyama. I play with the Maruyama for a little while, they sure look good quality. 5 years commercial warrante, good price. They are supposed to be quieter also.:waving:

Guys!!! Help me out, which is the quietest, I have enough loud noise in my younger days when I was a rock guitarist for years, my ear hurt when I use the HC150 even with my good Stihl ear/face protection.
  10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Why don't you throw the stupid work-of-the-devil 2 cycle hedge trimmers away.... and take care of your customer's landscape ornamentals the CORRECT way ?!?

...by HAND.

Yes...this SOUNDS labor-intensive...and it is....at FIRST.
    But you'll reap the savings not to far down-the-road later, when you don't see much (if not any at all) S-U-R-G-E growth :cry: anymore !!

So...in essence, you'd be stopping the "cycle of butchery" :cry: on a given plant, after you've learned how to do it correctly, and begin to prune wisely "by hand" !!!

Here's something that "Whitey4" from New York blogged this past winter...that is exactly right on target for pruning landscape ornamentals.

Depends on the shrub. For privets and boxwoods, I'll use the gas trimmer, but then get out the hand pruners. The apical stem once cut will not grow. that creates new growth just under where the apical stem was cut. That often results in a dense canopy which looks nice.... for a while. The problem is that that dense outer canopy restricts both air circulation and sunlight from penetrating it. All new growth then occurs at the canopy, and none underneath.

I'll take out the hand shears and make openings in the canopy, sort of like windows, or skylights. That will promote some new growth under the canopy, as some sunlight and air circulation will penetrate the shrub and will help prevent bare spots later on as that new growth will fill in with a consequent outer canopy trimming.

This is what I do with any plants that have reached the desired hieght and width for it's location. If you don't prune like this, eventually one of two things will happen: The shrub gets too large for it's location, blocking walkways and windows, or with a heavy pruning, will have bare spots which take time to fill back in, if at all.

These "openings" won't be obvious from a few feet away, if done correctly. Few LCO's could be bothered to spend the time, but I do it. It works on some cedars as well. Holly's tend to manage themselves pretty well.

I like more natural border shrubs, like Nellie Stevens Holly as opposed to privets and the like. Much more natural looking, but some people do like that stone wall look privets can achieve. I don't think I've ever seen a mature privet that wasn't invading space it shouldn't, like a driveway. It will take two years of hand pruning to generate enough under canopy growth to give it a good cut back without horrible bare spots. These aren't forsythias that will fill in within a growing season. My 2 cents.