What height are you cutting St.Augustine

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Jul 10, 2011.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Normally I have been cutting at 4 inches. I have been cutting most customers lawns now at 4.5 and my own lawn at 5 inches. I know you might think it is to high at 5 inches but I think the lawns are looking better when cutting at a higher height. What are you guys cutting it at? I do get a few stragglers when cutting heigher though. Thanks

2. If using my toro master(which weighs more) I don't go lower than the second highest setting which I believe is 4.25. On my wright stander 4-4.25. I have one yard that is so vigorous don't even drop the deck on my toro. Good rule of thumb, don't go lower than 4" in the growing season. The higher the better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

I've been told 3.75 is best by a couple of fert and pest control guys, specifically the one I work with on my lawns.. its high enough to promote growth but low enough to still look like I did something

4. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

Too me it all depends on the terrain ..If its bumpy and has a hilly kinda area i have height up to 4.5 in ...I also cut some at 3.5 in in some cases ...But if i could it would 4in every time .....Just gives a good look in my opinion ..

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

According to Hustler's settings, most of mine were cut at 4.25" last week. I may have to move to 4.5" this week. That is where they look good. I don't check them with a ruler. I generally cut them at 3.75" until the lush growth starts, then move up from there. Some end up near 5" near the end of summer, then I slowly take some of the height out of them.

I do have a couple that are cut lower throughout the summer at the owners' request. But never below 3.5". Again, according to the mower adjustment.

6. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

With all the rain, we're at 9" :)

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Never below 4 unless a customer specifically ask for it to be cut lower. Currently most lawns that are on a good fert program, have been getting watered correctly get cut at 4.5 to 4.75 and even at those heights on some of them I am removing so much of the blade that I am going back a double cutting sections if not the entire lawn to help with the left over clippings left on top of the turf or hitting them with a blower to disperse.

8. Landscape Poet

I need to get your kind of mower I think! Could use a deck that could go over 5.25:clapping:

9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Get one of these.... and the world is your oyster. :)

[​IMG]

10. Landscape Poet

I am not sure but I think that may create some rutting issues which my clients will not appreciate:laugh: