What height are you cutting St.Augustine

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Jul 10, 2011.

1. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

I thought you didn't care about ruts. :)

Anyway, who's worried about ruts... seems clumping may be more of an issue.....

A couple of passes should take care of that. :weightlifter:

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

And all the hedges too.

3. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Keith... develop gills yet? :)

4. Keith

Yep.

What's your Captiva doing? Mine is fungus-ridden right now and had a bout with webworms.

5. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

They gave up on it and changed back to SA. Too many problems with it they said.

My guess is they wouldn't follow a reasonable watering program even after repeated consultations.

6. Keith

Mine was beautiful until two weeks ago. One thing it did though. It grew a lot more in a week than it did last year. From the March through June, it really needed to be cut every seven days. Of course if you let it go, it never gets out of hand.

You are probably about right. Failure to water would surely do it in. I went out of town for a week in May and left the sprinklers off. 8 to 9 days without water was too much. I ended up losing a spot and had to patch it in. Luckily I had donor section in a corner of the backyard that I grew from sprigs.

7. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Well, they went from over watering -creating the conditions for fungus- to believing the claim that it needs less water. Then back to over watering. End result was a patchy lawn and you know how long it takes to grow back and fill in bare spots.

Live and learn. Or live and don't learn a thing... :)

8. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

It is not that I am not concerned about ruts...I will not stop production because of a little moisture though. These people expect you to get their lawn cut - well in order to make any real money, especially as a solo operator, that means productions does not stop except in case of a emergency. Like I said before, that or they can choose to pay me enough were I can making a living cutting only about 20 yards a week during the rainy season. I think we all know that is not going to happen.

9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Relax. I was just busting your chops. :)

But curious, you don't have your clients on contract?

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mikey

In the case of Green T production only starts after his Obamanation Rants about a Liberal government stop. With over 22,000 extreme left wing posts in the political forum, he doesn't have time to mow grass.