1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what height do you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dr9, Aug 30, 2006.

1. dr9

dr9 LawnSite Member

typically cut grass this time of year? I generally leave it about 3 1/2" but was wondering what others do.
  2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow at 3" the whole year.
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on the turf. centipede (90% of my lawns) i am cutting at 2 1/4 - 2 1/2", bahia (the other 10%) i am cutting at 2 1/2 - 3".
  4. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I cut all year at 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 depending on the yard.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

why so low for the northeast? do you find that your lawns are getting burnt faster than other lawns in the neighborhood once the hot weather hits?
    we cut nothing lower than 3, most at 3 1/2, and a few at 4.
  6. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Have not had a burn issue up here this year. It has rained every time it gets close to drying up. I think striping looks better when you leave the grass longer but in all the years I have cut it has been 2 1/2 to 2 3/4. Most of the LCO's up here seem to cut between 2 1/2 and 3 inches. Kind of gives it that golf course look in a weird way. The way it is growing here now I could cut at that height twice a week and still get a good amount of clippings!
  7. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

My lawns are all St. Augustine and I've been cutting at 4" during the month of August. If we hadn't gotten a cold front and some rain through here yesterday, I was going to start cutting at 4.25"
  8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

3-3.5 90% Of Time. 2.5 Before Fall Last Cut Or If Watered And I Mow Twice A Week!
  9. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

3 1/2 inches here, all season long except in the fall vacuuming leaves and final cut. Then I cut at 3 inches.
  10. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

most of mine are St.Augestein so I cut @ 5" other grass 3.5-4"