What height to cut common bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gwinnettlawncare, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Gwinnettlawncare

Gwinnettlawncare LawnSite Member

I was thinking about trying to cut my yard at about 1-1.5 inches next year, but I was not sure if that was the best thing to do or not. It is common Bermuda and i was told that it is not supposed to be cut that low. Does anyone know what height is best for common Bermuda?
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think you would be okay cutting it low but you definitely have to start that in the spring after the last freeze. We let some of ours get longer and longer on our commericial sites and I don't think it looks as good. I know the Tif bermuda definitely does better when cut low.
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think that 1.5"-3" is the best range. I personally cut all my bermuda at2.5" by my lazer hp height adjustment. the same height is 1.5" on my quick 36, so go figure.
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually cut Common Bermuda at 2 1/4 to 2 1/2.
  5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Same as LLandscaping..2.5" unless customer request otherwise..I think its more important to have a even cut and sharp blades....no matter what height you cut at.
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with o-so.

you can make bermuda look good at 5" or .5". just manage them right for their respective heights, and they will do great.
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you are cutting your own lawn and you want to cut it every 3-4 days then you can maintain it at that height. I try to start the bermuda at around 1 3/4 to 2" during the spring time but when it starts to grow super fast around here you have to raise the cut height or you will be scalping it so bad that they will have a brown lawn instead of a green lawn. By the end of the season some lawns will be up to 4" tall. Some people like it that high but the only problem with that is that only the very tip is green and every dip or rise in the lawn and you can see the scalp marks.

I'm not a big fan of bermuda but it pays the bills.
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think mowing it low wouldn't hurt it and you can always raise the height if it doesn't look good. But give it a few cuts to see if it fills in nicely or just looks scalped and thins. With Bermuda the tradeoff between low and high mowing is things like density, frequency of mowing required, color, drought resistance, and the "puffy" look Bermuda can get when mowed higher. But it's pretty tough stuff and I've never seen it damaged really by mowing. Usually improper use of chemicals is what gets it.

I love low cut Bermuda but except on a personal home where I had it it's impractical to mow it super low all the time commercially unless the customer is willing to have it cut 6 times a month or so and pay for a reel mower or 21" rotary. I start it off low and usually have to raise it .25" or so each month to keep some green on top.