1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What herbicide to spray on a Dichondra lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mr.cactus, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Mr.cactus

Mr.cactus LawnSite Member
    from Brea CA

I have a customer who has a Dichondra lawn, out here in California it isn't considered a weed. The only problem is, is that it has allot of weeds in it. Primarily,oxalis, dandelion and devilgrass. I don't want to replace the lawn, because I know it can look nice. So any suggestions for a herbicide that dosen't kill dichondra?
  2. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Dichondra is a dicot (a weed in 95% of the rest of the country) so your chances of finding a herbicide that controls other dicots/broadleaves without damaging the Dichondra is about the same as me beating Tiger Woods at Augusta....not good. Hand-pull is a option if the lawn is small. Not sure how quickly Dichondra would fill in after a Glyphosate app. but you might try a test area.
  3. Mr.cactus

from Brea CA

The lawn isn't to big, I'll probably just hand pick it.

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

best thing to do.only Calif and Az consider it other than a weed.
  5. Mr.cactus

from Brea CA

An interesting thing about this lawn is that it's fairly weed resistant, and you have to water 4 times a day. It requires allot of fertilizer. I like the way it looks, but I wouldn't want to do a large area in it.
  6. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Rather than pulling the weeds which often just break off the above ground portion of the plants allowing the plants to regrow. I have used a swipe application method. I put on a latex glove and then a cotton jersey glove over that, mix up some glyphosphate in a can, dip my fingers into the mixture and swipe the plant with it. It is the same amount of work as pulling the weed but allows the glyphosphate to translocate within the plant killing the entire plant. Just be careful and neat and avoid "dripping" onto the desired plants.