what herbicide to use in a ride on?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by The Ranger, Feb 5, 2006.

1. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

A lot of threads touting the use of all different types of herbicide. What about good old 3way? Mixed at the right concentration in a ride on the only weed we can't control is violets. Why spend the extra money on the high end herbicdes? I see no benefit in this, am I missing something?

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, 3-way stinks...........I mean it smells.......

3. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Drive 75 labeled for violets.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Drive 75 does squat for violets. Add some Quicksilver to the brew and it is a different story. Good old 3-way ester II is one of the best herbicides ever made. Only problems are the heat issue, and the stench. Again, add some Quicksilver to the mix and it will kill more weeds, faster, and you can cut down on the amount of 3 way you use.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Ideally you need triclopyr to control violets.

In general, why do I often use more costly herbicides than threeway?

I'm a one-man show in this business right now. The biggest thing I want to avoid is making extra visits to properties because weed X was not controlled from the last application. It costs me too much time and fuel to make unscheduled visits, therefore the extra money spent on having the best herbicide for the job is justified. Plus, you can only have so many callbacks until the customer gets a little frustrated.

If I had several employees in trucks, the impact of an extra visit might not be as large.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The main thing we use is 3way. As far as the smell,...well, there's the secret. We leave and our customers tell us how they LIKE the smell of their lawn. It is pleasant, and can be smelled a few houses down sometimes. Why do they like the smell of our lawns? Because we leave the lawns smelling of a nice minty aroma. You don't even smell the herbicide. We use mint oil in the mix. A $60 a gallon jug (this is used for agricultural fish farms, as well as many other applications) goes a LONG way. I can mix a Permagreen tank and use about 1 teaspoon and that will be a STRONG smell. Our litle secret, and people talk about it all the time. We have had SEVERAL people tell us that they like the smell of whatever it is we spray. Even people just walking by.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Why do they like the smell of our lawns? Because we leave the lawns smelling of a nice minty aroma. You don't even smell the herbicide. We use mint oil in the mix. A $60 a gallon jug (this is used for agricultural fish farms, as well as many other applications) goes a LONG way. I can mix a Permagreen tank and use about 1 teaspoon and that will be a STRONG smell. Our litle secret

How about givin that secret up to the rest of us.......where can we find it.

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, that's a really awesome idea! Ever think about trying anything other than mint? I know where you could get some other scents at a lower price; wintergreen, spearmint, peppermint, orange, lemon, lime, cedar, pine, cinnamon oils to name a few. Let me know if you're interested. The place I know sells them by the lb/kg. You could get orange oil for less than $4.50 a pound, very strong smell, very good deal.

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There's Hawkeye, which is an organo-silicone sticker with a wintergreen scent added too.

10. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

We use primrily Three-way. In the late fall I switched to momentum fx but this spring we will again use Three-way.