1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what hight?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ghb, Aug 20, 2006.

1. ghb

ghb LawnSite Member

Hi all, I'm new to this sight, and am going to start my own buisiness as soon as I return home from Iraq. I've been reading alot of posts on this site, and have found alot of useful info for the newbe. However, I've not found anything on how to judge what hight you should mow. Any feedback on this would be greatly apprieciated. And thanks for all of the wonderful advice, and tips you all have posted. they have been a great help.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

First it depends on where you live. Down here in Fla there are 2 main grasses. St.Augestein and Bahia.
    Bahia I usually dont go any lower that 3.5" on my mower
    St.Augestein I leave it at the very top which is 5".
    My mower setting are .5" settings from 5" to I think 2"
  3. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your local extension office, they can tell you the minimum cutting height for your area. Here it is 3" but I cut most of mine between 3.5 and 4". The higher you cut the lawn the stronger and more disease and weed tollerant it is, to an extent. If you continually cut it high, above 4" the lawn can have a hard time releasing moisture and can build up mold and other diseases.

So what I try and do to keep the lawn at its best is cut at 3.5 during times of good precipitation and take it up to 4" when it starts to dry up.
  4. ghb

ghb LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. By the way, if it makes any difference, we mostly have alot of bluegrass around here.
  5. ghb

ghb LawnSite Member

Also, how should you handle a lawn that is tall, but burned? would you cut first, then water and fert., or get the lawn healthy and the cut so you don't risk damaging it further?
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. Cut first (high), then water. The water will better reach the soil, and the turf will beathe a little better and not promote fungal growth as easy. Let us know when you return.
  7. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

You dont want to cut below 3", pretty well all my lawns are 3 and a half.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Mostly a fescue-blue blend here-- 3.5"

Thanks for your service!:usflag:
  9. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

I cut all mine at 3". Over 3" most my customers complain that it looks sloppy.
  10. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Never remove more than a third of the length trgardless of what it is if it's got "out of hand " explain to customer why and bck it up with proffesional literature < a book on horticulture > AND THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE IN THE ARMED FORCES IN IRAQ. YOU ARE NOT TAKEN FOR GRANTED BY MOST AMERICANS .