1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What Hydroseeder set up to get??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by EverestLandscape, Jul 8, 2014.

1. EverestLandscape

EverestLandscape LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Ive been doing a lot of thinking lately for additional income and have decided to take the leap into hydroseeding, for me as well as other companies in the area. I have narrowed the equipment down to a Turbo Turf 750gallon hybrid unit which has one motor for the pump and one motor for the agitator.

Here's what I need help with...A, is my equipment choice a decent one...B, do I either go with a trailer unit or skid mounting it for the roll off?

Thanks in advance guys!!
  2. fortynorth

fortynorth LawnSite Member

I had a turbo turf 300 gallon when I started years ago. Good machine for what it was designed for, small areas. Now we have a Finn T-90. No comparison at all. The Finn is 1000 times more useful. We use 70/30 bales and the agitator breaks them right up. It's 900 gallons and I often wish it was 3000. We bought it used and probably paid about the same as a new turbo turf 750. It's diesel, has a big pump and is just all around well built. Electric hose reel is a lifesaver for 200' of heavy hose. Not saying the 750 is a bad machine but I'd weigh your options and budget carefully. Buy the biggest machine you can afford and tow. The agitator in the hybrid 750 may make it a great machine. I used jet spray in my turbo turf and it worked fine but was a lot more expensive than baled 70/30.
  3. EverestLandscape

EverestLandscape LawnSite Member

I see, ok. Yea the two things that grabbed my attention on the hybrid 750 was the mechanical agitator and the two separate engines. I can mix the tank at my shop and leave it mixing as I drive to the site with out the pump running. I suppose I could put a electric hose reel, both engines have electric start so there's batteries. Obviously I'm not going to drop $20,000 right out of the gate. But like with anything, if it works out then ill upgrade.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. fortynorth

fortynorth LawnSite Member

You'll do fine with any machine. We bought our finn for $12k. Not saying you'll find the same deal and that was 8-9 years ago.
  5. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member