What I am finding looking for new business!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tim Wright, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I am in the middle of my largest account refusing to pay $11K of their bill for 2007, and so I am looking for new accounts, which I would be doing anyway.

What I am finding is that in our area we have local LCO's with 2-3 crews or sometimes more, that are literally working for $20.00 per man hour. This is no joke.

I am trying to find new work estimating for $35.00 per man hour, and I am looking at bids that are more just for the mowing than these other guys have for full service. I have no idea how they can conduct business, that is, pay for insurance, WC, taxes, equipment payments, etc and still survive.

The lowballing is being taken to an All New Low.

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

yea, that is pretty low, unless you had low overhead with it, i try and bid everything at 40.00 an hour.
  3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

With benefits some of my guys cost me over $35hr plus overhead :hammerhead::hammerhead: but on the average our workers coast $24hr plus overhead....:hammerhead:.
  4. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

I know of a company who prides themselves in what you are talking about. The owner believes in the saying "would you rather have 1% of a hundred people or 100% of one person". he has 6-2 man mowing crews, 1- 4 man landscaping crew, 1- 3 man tree trimming/removal crew, 3 commercial property fert/wc applicators 6 residential applicators 2 office girls and 2 salesmen. oh......and 1 severely underpaid/overworked mechanic. sell your soul like he did, or wait for his stoners to run their mower through a plate glass window(it happened, he was high) and pick up the work.