What I found regarding Subaru / Robin trimmers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by randall800, Mar 20, 2007.

1. randall800

randall800 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I decided that it was time to buy a 4 stroke string trimmer this week. I found that the Honda 4 stroke trimmer is near impossible to find for sale in the southeast and is not available for shipping when web shopping.

The Stihl is 4 stroke but requires a 50 to 1 gas oil mix....forget that!

The Robin sounded the best option from multiple sources including this forum. Here is what I found out about the Robin:

Apparently Suburu makes the powerplant for the ROBIN GAS TRIMMER WEEDEATER BH2500 4-CYCLE.

Here is Suburu's discussion of the engine:
    http://www.robinamerica.com/engines/detail.lasso?mdl=EH025#

Here is Robin's site(pretty lame I must say):
    http://www.robinoutdoorpower.com/pro-trimmers.htm

Here is where I bought the unit for $240:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...from=R8&satitle=160096147486&category0=&fvi=1

Hopefully this helps other in their due diligence regarding another 4 stroke trimmer option.

I will report my trimmer experience with the BH2500 as soon as I can.

2. randall800

from GA

Immediate thoughts are that the Robin is a very high quality made in Japan by Subaru product.

The unit is actually a weed eater and brushcutter that comes with a bump weed eater head as well as a brush cutting head.

Very quiet compared to my echo trimmer. Also alot less vibration.

Cutting a few weeds around the yard showed this trimmer to be very powerful unlike my echo....would not bog down in the thick stuff.

Conclusion...this beats em all and I have used em all....no more 2 strokes or mixing gas and oil for me.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Give us another report after you put about a 1000 hours on the unit.....sales literature always seems great until you put stuff into the field.

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you not just stay with echo 2 strokes? Mixing the oil and gas is pretty simple I mean it tells you on the botthle what to do. Like ed2hess said let us know how its running (if it even is) when you get 1000 hours on it.

5. randall800

from GA

As far as I am concerned the chief reasons that I am sold on the Robin/Subaru 4 stroke trimmer as of right now and in order of importance with 1 being most important:

1. Less noise than a 2 stroke(less noise pollution for operator and clients)

2. Less pollution than a 2 stroke(operators and clients breathing unburned oil is not considered healthy)

3. Noticeably more power than comparably sized 2 strokes.

4. No time or effort or mistakes involved in gas/oil mixing.

As far as the 1000 hrs of testing...time will tell and I will update on any problems this trimmer causes me.

6. randall800

from GA

If the step of mixing oil and gas is not necessary then what economic justification is there to continue executing the step?

I understand that change threatens and intimidates most people but not having to mix gas/oil is less labor intensive and less negative to the environment and people.

7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

How does it run/lubricate when upside down for edging.

8. randall800

from GA

...........unless your customers are ok with rough looking edges along drives and sidewalks. Competitors use the string trimmer for edging which gives me another reason for my customers to use me over the competition.

To address your question," How does it lubricate when upside down?" I do not know as I have no need to turn it upside down. However, if I did turn the unit upside down it would be for seconds only so as to be considerate of the lower engine lubrication concerns present in 4 strokes.

If you are insistent in using the string trimmer as an edger then I would not recommend the 4 stroke models.

9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I used edgers in the past. Once I learned to make edges as well with my trimmer I'd never use edgers for weekly edging again. Using a trimmer as an edger is a real talent. It is certainly not for everyone but if you can it's awesome. Leaves a beautiful edge. Again I have seen many guys that just can't do it.