What I learned after my first year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpicciu, Jan 16, 2007.

1. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

I learned a ton of stuff this past summer, but when I have to think of one thing that helped me the most, striping comes to mind. I am a firm believer in striping, and I know that not everybody feels the same way, but thats what makes America great. With that in mind, I had always heard the comment that 99.9% of customers don't care about striping, rather they just want someone to cut the grass and get the job done. But after my experiences, I don't think thats the case. I think what happened with me is that I striped my clients yards, and they just stood out so much more than other yards around them, and people are going to notice that when its all said and done. I got calls from neighbors and friends wanting me to cut their yards because of it. Bottom line - my customers were happy because of it, and it led to more business. I can't complain one bit about that combination. So I guess the point I'm trying to get out is that striping worked wonderfully for me, and I think its without a doubt the way to go. Like I said, theres probably a ton of people who don't even notice if a yard is striped, but eventually its going to stand out. What do you all think?

2. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you 100% Keep up the quality woork!

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with you on that,......Striping stands out and that shows that you take pride in your work and what you do.....

4. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I Like It But Not All Customers Do. I Almost Lost A Yard Because I Striped It. He Came Out And Said " Are You Going To Fast Or Are Your Blades That Dull That It Pushes The Grass Over Instead Of Cutting It ?" Then He Said" If You Can't Do Any Better Than That I Am Going To Get Some One Else."

5. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

Why didn't you explain to him what you were doing?

6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran into this problem before. Usually is the elderly customers. I personally think that striping looks very professional. But find that alot of customers could care less.

7. cutbetterthanyou

I Did. I Told Him Most People Liked It That It Was Suppose To Make His Place Look Classy. He Just Said He Didnt Like It And If I Didnt Stop He Was Going To Fire Me And Get Somone Else.

8. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

So was he very upset and spitting mad? or calm and tell you that?

Because if he was spitting mad i would look for some to replace his business.
    It can be done. I have learned the last year that if you want to replace a customer it can be done sometimes it takes more effort on our part to find. that customer.

9. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

True ... striping is a personal thing (which I like as well) ... and if you have a customer who likes it ... and their neighbors call you because they like the way his lawn works .... then you have another customer who likes it. If they didn't .. then obviously they wouldn't call you to do their lawn. Most times ... someone who calls you because they saw your work in the neighborhood and liked it ... they tend to turn out to be a good customer themselves. The only risk is that if they turn out to be TOO picky.

Whatever works ... keep doing it.

10. cutbetterthanyou

the guy really isn't that bad. he is my tax guy i can't really drop him (nor do i want to) he helps me to much. i did a landscape/clean up job on a rental property for him and his buss. partner and got both of their homes for weekly grass cutting.they are both cool people. the guy is just very particular about his yard and likes it a certain way. he wasn't that mad because of the stripes, but more because of why he thought that they were there (the to fast or dull blade thing). after i explained he chilled out a bit but still didn't want them in his yard. everyone has an opinion on what looks good.