What I should do with that.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Hartzog, Feb 18, 2008.

1. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

I have no clue what to do with these bushes. I told the manager they should be completely pulled out. He said they should be cut half way back. I said O.K. and this is what you get. Now his partner wants me to yank them out. Now, I'm thinking maybe they'll grow. It's under a lot of shade and gets plenty of water. I couldn't put grass there due to the shade and they don't want rocks. So, what would you do? You can see what I did already.

P2180012.jpg

P2180013.jpg

P2180016.jpg

2. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree .. you've got to yank them out, and start with new. Once things get to overgrown, there usually isn't much going back on plants such as they have there.

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Consider broadleaf hydrangeas. Good for shade and wet, grow fairly fast, lots of color July and August. Customer needs to be patient however because they're not very big when planted. 4' at maturity is better, not the 8' variety.

4. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

these bushes have been there since the 50's BTW.

5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, those have to go. A great chance to sell some new shrubs!!

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

get rid of em

7. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him that they need to go! Tell him that due to the age that he will have to replace them anyway in the next few years anyway. Plant a lower growing shrub. I suggest Gardenia jasminiodes-the shrub grows lower and has very fragrant white blumes from may through june. They will be happy! Prune in fall after flowering is over. Apply acidic plant food in spring. Easy maintenance for the space i believe.

8. AmGreen

AmGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Try I Gold Dust Aucuba or some other variety of that sort. Loves shade and retains it's color year round. Not sure what your plant zone is some are as low as 6...check out www.monrovia.com - search/keyword AUCUBA

9. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah Pull them out they dont look to hot at all, there all on the wild side. Go with something plain and simple and its gonna look so much better.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Those will grow right back and be fine. Just give them 10 years or so, and you'll be all set. they WILL have to be over the sidewalk to fill out with proper foliage, but so what if we cover the walkway and windows...who needs them.
    Seriously, I think the manager needs to get with the program. Even the big round one in the background in the first pic is too big for that setting. Go fresh, and make the place look like new.