What if I pay you double?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jul 19, 2003.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Recieved a call from a lady on Wednesday frantic to get us out ASAP to fix the pipes that a concrete company broke when pouring a new sidewalk. The 1" poly is broken underneath the concrete. I tell her it would be the following Tues. or Wed. before I could get out. She says "What if I pay you double?" I say "What time Friday!!"

Actually I told her I normally would not do this but if I move some appts I could be there Friday at 8:00 am. But it would be double because I risk losing existing clients by moving their already scheduled appts. I tell her it would be $112 per hour. She says she will pay it and take it out of what they owe the concrete comp.

So I show up and spend 5.5 hours there. They wanted to re-route the pipes around the new huge sidewalk. To do that would have been a najor pain the butt. Ground is almost solid rock. Shrubs and large trees and tree roots to go around. And 2 sidewalks to go under. Although they did have a sleeve undeer the 2 we would go under.

I went another route. I used the existing 1" poly as a sleeve and ran 3/4" poly through to the other side of the wal. The pipe ran almost parrellel with the walk directly under it for about 25'-30'. The zone was small enough that it was not going to effect the flow. Problem was the 1" pipe was crushed by the concrete about 18"-20" before it came out the other side. So I worked digging under the walk to find the crushed area, cut it out before it, and still run my pipe thru. It took a long time but was able to get it and the money was awesome.

Sometimes you just have to improvise on the repairs. Re-routing the pipe would have probably taken 8-10 man hours.

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good, nice score.

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

good job, you got paid, got a new client, and figured out a way to get the job done.

sounds like a good day to me.

brian