What if key will not turn mower off?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Oct 25, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

My Scag Wb bought new a few months ago has an issue with the key on/off.
    It will no longer turn off by turning the key to the off position even if I fiddle with it back and forth. THe only way I've been doing to turn it off is to pull the choke all the way up and it kills the engine. Is the hard on the mover? Do I need to get this repaired or has anyone else had this problem. I had an aerator which i rented last week and it was leaned hard against the Scag in my trailer to get them both to fit. The key problem happenned after that.
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Pull back the throttle cable...push it away from you, I think. It'll lower the RPM's enough to stall it

edit: spelling
  3. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

check the wirring harness to the key and follow the harness to the engine. It could have pulled loose or been cut, been there....outlaw
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

You got a loose ground. Flooding the carb is not good, will foul the plugs until eventually the mower won't start. Fix the mower.
  5. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

My on/ off key was working until recently when I took the engine shroud off to replace the ignition coil. To kill the engine I have been reducing the RPM's until the engine dies.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

this will be the least of the problems. choke it out enough and you will wash the cylinder out and dilute the oil with gas and blow the engine up.
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

if you bought it new, take it to the dealer!!! It will be fixed under warranty and not cost you a cent
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Exactly what I was thinking.......you need to trace the wiring and you'll find either a loose ground wire or a broken ground wire.
  9. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have time to take it in tommorow and leave it as I have too many jobs Friday. Would it be better to make the automatic shut off happen; like just let it run up the ramp into the trailer and then instead of keeping the breaks on just let off of the breaks and then the safety off feature will turn it off. Sounds better than choking it out at least, til I can get it fixed hopefully on Saturday or Monday. What do u guys call that system that makes the mower auto shut off if u let off of the breaks? I said sos cause I wasn't sure what it's called.
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually Safety switches work off of a ground.