What if someone doesn't want to pay?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Neophyte, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Lawn Neophyte

Lawn Neophyte LawnSite Member

What would you do?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead:

3. Lawn Neophyte

So you suggest I use a mallet?

4. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

a big one, lol

5. Lawn Neophyte

WHat happens if charges are pressed?

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

You wouldn't press charges. This is a civil matter, not a criminal one. Google "Small Claims Court (Your State)" and you should get some helpful information. You could also try a collections agent. Send them a letter stating that you are going to take them to small claims court if they do not pay. Be sure to ad late fees as needed. If it goes to court and you win they are responsible for all late fee's and court costs.

7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can try and take them to court, but I think its a waste of time, guy owes me $50.00 from 2005!

In Texas you can try and put a lien on them, but the local court told me it was a waste of time. Plus if its a rental you are screwed.

8. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully you have a signed contract that will hold up in court, as well.

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

A simple contract stating that they agree to pay their bill on time will suffice so that you can either take them to court or better yet, send the debt to some collection lawyers.

When my customers start service, they agree that if I cannot bill their credit card for service witihn 30 days of when it is due, I will add a $30 additional fee and send it to a collection company.

All you need is a signed contract or an electric agreement if you are doing it over the internet and it will hold up for a collection agency, civil court, or to file a lien on their property. All of those are solutions to collection debt.

10. Lawn Neophyte

what if there were no contracts signed?