what if you were in this situation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Lets say you've known a lady for years, longer than you've been in the biz, and she has had the same company cutting her lawn for about 7 years. With having them for that long she has built up sort of a relationship with the owner. This company cuts several lawns in your targeted area for only 15 bucks on 1/4-1/2 acre lots and does fairly good work. You lose potential customers to this business. This lady you know talks to one of the employees one day and finds out that they are all from Mexico and are being housed in the owner's basement. The employee doesn't say he's an illegal but it seems quite possible. She immediately drops them. You as a business, do you rat this owner out in an effort to shut him down or do you stay out of it?

...I'm not saying I'm in this situation.
  2. ccash

ccash Banned

if he knows it then send him packin
  3. caslong

caslong LawnSite Member
    from Tn

I would not rat on him with the intention of shutting him down. I would rat on him to see if his amigos were legal. If they are illegal and he gets shut down, its his fault.
    Illegals are not only a problem for LCO's , but in many other industries.
    Give me his name and address, I'll rat him out.
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I would probably make an anonymous phone call just to let someone know that he MIGHT have illegals working for him... and that he might be mistreating them...
  5. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

That is wrong in every sense of the what america is about. Land of the free not indenrured slaves. In fact here in the southwest, i have heard of biz owners paying rent for 7or8 guys livin in a two bedroom apartment, house whatever, one is legal the rest r not. They get a ride to and from work, lunch paid for other than that they r on there own. Most guys go the h2b route others creat there own "h2b" program. Liability. Its a felony now to help,aid,assist illegal immigrants in any way shape or form. 8 people 7 felonys.
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

The fact that they are mowing 1/4 - 1/2 acre lawns for $15.00 and they have managed to last seven seasons raises an eyebrow.

Having guys live in his basement, I would definatly make some phone calls to the proper authoities.
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Tough call. But whenever I have a tough question like this to consider, I just go back to the Golden Rule. If I were them, would I want someone to do that to me?

So wanting to play it safe, I'd probably let it slide and not worry about it.
  8. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Good way of looking at it. Of course I'm not facing these situations so it's easy to preach. Problem is all of North America was built by immigrants, our forefathers. It's not an answer, but I think it won't stop overnight unfortunately. I know one answer that won't work, that's jailing them and coming down heavy...that'll create a lot of bad feelings and make things worst.
  9. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

That's whats wrong in AMERICA-cheese eaters that don't know how to mind their own business!If the guy is not costing you money,what business is it of yours.:laugh:
  10. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the problem with america people not stepping up to the plate!
    Im sure the Illegals are paying taxes, contributing to social security, not affecting you??? if there mowing lawns for half the price you charge, then hell yeah there affecting me and my company..:hammerhead:

There is a reason why we have the national guard patroling our borders, and its not to make sure that we americans pay tax on the fruit and tequilla we bring back.