1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What if your dealer doesn't have what you want?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gunner27, Mar 27, 2005.

1. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

If you run exmark and your dealer sells stihl, but you hate stihl. Next dealer sells Husltler and Echo, so on and so forth? How do you handle it?
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I use two places. One for my mowers, one for my 'extra' equipment.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I go back and forth between dealers. Some might sell the trimmers that I want, but not the mowers. Or some may have the parts that I want compared to others.
  4. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

Dealers are for homeowners. I work on all my own equipment. I have had bad experiences from car dealers to my atv dealers so forget them. I could live on without them.

"Time is money and there is a night with every day".
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I go where I need to go to get what I want... most of the time.
    A lot of my stuff has came from various dealers.
  6. I think it's better that your dealers know you can and will go elsewhere to get what you want.
  7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

So how do YOU handle it?
  8. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I use one dealer for my mowers and maintenence and then another dealer for my blowers, trimmers, yada yada yada. Blower and trimmer dealer is 3 miles away, mower dealer is 15 miles away.
  9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

go get what you want.us dealers know about brand loyalty.that is what we do, try to promote it.if you use another brand of equipment for your handhelds
    and he don't stock it he should not be mad.at least i would not be.i have many guys that use redmax and i sell stihl.i don't have any hard feelings.i even try to stock the fast moving parts for there equipment even if i don't sell it.
  10. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

So do you build all of your own equipment too? :rolleyes: Don't you need a dealer in order to GET the equipment in the first place? Or do you just go down to the local junk yard and pick up an old small block 350 out of a '72 chevy nova and attatch it to a water pipe with a record player at the end of it for a trimmer? :D LOL just kidding.

Dave :waving: