What if your trimmer was 12 inches longer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Merkava_4, May 11, 2010.

1. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you still use it comfortably, or would the added length make it unusable?

And please mention how tall you are. Thanks. :)

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It would for me, I am 5'7"

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

6'2" I think it would be more comfortable, however I rarerly use a trimmer.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

6'3" and a longer trimmer would make things harder on my back.

5. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If your trimmer was 12 inches longer, you'd be the owner of a Tanaka PFL! The extra length is very beneficial... And, the increased productivity outweighs the extra weight(pun intended) of the longer shaft. I've set up one of my Tanakas up a little bit differently. I moved the throttle handle 3.5 inches away from the engine. This makes the unit WAY more comfortable than the standard unit... PERFECT CENTER OF GRAVITY!

Big, small, short or tall... Everyone that uses my pfl's for a long enough time to get used to them loves the benefit of the shaft length.

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

After suffering while using any trimmer, I made a special handle to replace the loop handle on my trimmers, it is basically just taller and looks like a J handle, it has worked great, and I dont hunch over anymore, even with a regular length trimmer shaft. I held the trimmer and had someone measure how far my hand was from the shaft standing in a comfortable position, and designed it around this figure.

7. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I would. I'm 6'2.

But what I'd like to see is a straight trimmer with an adjustable angle head.

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

im 5'7 it wouldnt help me

9. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

You tall guys should quit complaining here, get together and write to Shindaiwa, Stihl, Echo..............Telling them your story. This is a very easy modification for them. If you guys have the number and bombard them with emails or letters, one of them might listen and build one.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

im 5' 10'' and i think an extra 12'' on the trimmer would be real awkward to use and get used to