1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What in the heck happened here?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BLC1, Aug 5, 2013.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

No irrigation on the property. That tree stump is dead center of the front lawn. This just happened over the past couple weeks.

Not sure why the border is green all the way around.

I'm not sure what happened to the tree but, I think it has been gone for at least a couple years.

I don't believe the home owner had sprayed anything there.
  2. GVL LLC

GVL LLC LawnSite Member

Did you just have a major dry spell? I would have guessed the grass died from too much shade from tree but since it wasnt just removed I have no clue except to say lack of water
  3. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

We have had one of the wettest summers I can remember. Outside of one week in the 90's, we have been barely getting into the 80's and rain every few days.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know. Rainy season here, cool too.
    Suppose a heavy rain washed some chemical out of the stones and into the lawn. It looks like the closer you are to the tree--the worse the grass is affected--except for the ring of green grass around the edge of the stones. What is the elevation and angle of the slope. If something from the stones (even a pre-emergent like Snapshot), got washed out of the stones area...which way would it go as it traveled downhill?
    Is there plastic under the stones? Any sign of tiny yellow granules?

Why was a perfectly good tree cut down? What kind of tree?
  5. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry but like the dead spot, I am stumped. At least we are coming into a good time of year to repair it. Let us know what you find.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Grubs? Maybe
  8. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Have you checked for chinch bug ? Had some serious infestations here.
  9. threepointchamp

threepointchamp LawnSite Member

Anyone saying nutsedge is correct. We are dealing with more than I have ever seen in lawns in one of the wetter summers I can remember. I believe much of it stems from the drought last year.
    We are using a product called Manage/Sedgehammer mixed with a handcan.
  10. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Third picture I need a closer shot of the damage, I'm guessing it may be a pathogen.