What in the world is this ???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by yard_smart, Jun 24, 2008.

1. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

Okay before i get to the pictures let me first tell you that i have sprayed this hill side for my uncle twice with round up and it killed everything but ....

these damn things
    [​IMG]

can any one give me some info on what they are and how to kill em ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMG_0315.jpg

2. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Its corn....give it some time and you will have some nice ears to eat with dinner.

3. ATX3HUNNID

ATX3HUNNID LawnSite Member

AHHHH! I have plenty of those in my back yard! I havent tried to kill them I just pull them up. The leaves slip from the root or stem or whatever its called so sometimes all you pull is leaves and the root stays, I hate em!

4. jgangaware

jgangaware LawnSite Member

My guess is johnson grass and MSMA will smoke it. Good Luck.

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

1.0 to 1.5 oz per gallon of MSMA should do the trick.

6. huntw11871

huntw11871 LawnSite Member
    from NC

It looks like a type of grass. Maybe in the pampas grass family? Not sure but if it is like pampas grass it is a pain in the azz to get rid of. MsMa is the stuff to put the smack down on it.

7. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

its going to be johns grass....that stuff is hard to kill. We had 250 acres of that stuff great for cows but damm its tuff....we would disc it under each year and all we did is piss it off.

8. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

Certainty will do the trick. In the past msma only burned it back a month for me.

9. Weed Busters

Weed Busters LawnSite Member

What you have is definately Johnsongrass. I have sprayed this stuff for 20 years for Maryland Dept. of Ag. In Md. johnsongrass must be controled by law. There is NOTHING that will kill this with one or two sprayings. MSMA will only burn it off. Roundup works but takes several years of spraying. The chemical that works far and away the best is Plateau. It is a farm chemical used in CRP acres. Two or three sprayings of Plateau will knock it out but it is very expensive(about $300.00 per gal.) and hard to get. My suggestion is keep up with the RU unless you don't want the brown out, then you could go with any selective grass killer. Most any of them will burn it down. If that johnsongrass has been there any length of time the rizomes on those plants could be running 10 feet or more. You have to have something that will translocate in those roots. This is one tough perennial!!!

10. MitchDaniel

MitchDaniel LawnSite Member

LOL:laugh: