What in the World?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rhinox29, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

I did a bid today for a 4 acre empty lot (no trees) just weekly mowing nothing else. I didn't even come close. I bid $460 a month. The guy who got it is doing it for $200 a month. This area is unbelievable. I know everybody has different expenses so if he is making money at it for that price:confused: . I need to get him to mentor me. :hammerhead:

2. texaslawn

texaslawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

So yeah...that sucks.

So since no one else seems to be in answering some starter questions, do you think you would?

3. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

What you want to know ?

4. He won't last. Bad thing of it is though, that customer will always believe they can get someone to mow for that price.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe that guy can do it in half the time you can? Maybe he has bigger equipment and more guys working for him. You dont know his circumstances. You only know yours and what you have to charge to make a living.

6. texaslawn

texaslawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Well, here is the situation. I've been working with athletic complexes for the past 10 years. With the rise in advice being asked of me about grass and irrigaition I decided to start a business. The thing is I don't know really where to start. Do I need to get a small business loan or not? How about equipment? What are the bare essentials I need to get? And how about contracts? How do you price them? So....see really I've gotten myself into a bind. So any information would be greatly appreciated.

7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You were charging him 115.00 an acre? here we only get about 65.00 an acre.

8. PastyWhite

PastyWhite LawnSite Member
    from Jax, FL

Weekly mowing. 460 per month / 4 weeks = 115 per week / 4 acres = 28.75 per acre.

9. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I ran into a guy that was mowing. Asked him if he had alot of lawns. He said he had 65. I asked him if he did alot of lawns for $15. I knew he did the lawn he was mowing for that. He said ya he did. He hasn't raised his price on hardly any lawns that he has mowed for 12 years. He said he mows a cemetery also and makes $20 an hour on that. He said he mows 3.5 acre for 50. Using a JD 62''. lawn tractor. Here in southern Indiana people don't get much. I know I charge alot more than that and get the job though.:drinkup:

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm glad you posted that, because I was about to blurt out that 115/acre was way high and no wonder he didn't get it.

So, at 200/month you're looking at 12.50/acre. Holy crap, that guy won't be in business long.

I could see 200/cut with no trimming per WEEK, but no way would I touch it for that per month.