1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what irks me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by noahb195, Jul 12, 2012.

1. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright so I was pulling into my neighborhood today, and the company that does my neighborhood's common areas was there mowing. Alright this owner had 4 guys out on a 2 man job. 2 people were working then the others were just standing around watching. I dont see how you can run a business when your payin out the ass for employees just to stand around. The quality of this company's work has seriously dopped. But I gues it doesnt matter what I think.
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you bid on the common areas? I don't have time to worry about other companies. I used let crap like that get to me, don't sweat it. Let yur work shine and you will do great.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. noahb195

I really dont pay attention to other companis. But this is where I live so its it not that hard to notice something when you drive by it everyday.
  4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

What is it exactly that is irksome to you? I don't follow.
  5. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

4 people on a 2 man job = i would think he's making nice profits on it. Poorly run business, ripping the customer off and getting paid for it. What's wrong with that, its the American way.
  6. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

And so it continues, I see the same thing.

All you can to is keep your own house in order, and not let it get to you.
  7. noahb195

Yeah man. My house has the best lawn hands down. But yeah all this does is make me push and make my work that much better:walking:
  8. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

The owner could actually have a very good reason for this.. I actually have one place that I do this to also.. BUT only because I do three places in one day in a location that isnt that close to my other accounts, Two of them are very very large and it takes 3 people to do them efficently, and the third is a small place that doesnt take too long to do so I can send the three people over there right after they finish the big places, and one of them has to stand around while the other two do the work. My only other option would be to pay the three of them to drive all the way back here and then pay the other two that can get that third property done to drive all the way back to do that one property.

OR I can just have them stop real quick and save myself money and have them get all three bunched into one area done in one day.

If it gave the owner more money to only send two people there then he would have. Why else would he want to pay two people to stand around if he had absolutely no reason at all?

People need to stop being so narrow minded. haha
  9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care so long they don't step foot on one of my properties, they can take care of themselves,
    I'll take care of mine, whatever it is they are doing is not my problem, live and let die and all of that.
  10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Keep in mind you just saw a snap shot in time.