1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what irks me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by noahb195, Jul 12, 2012.

1. TinMan1

TinMan1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SC

Sounds like a state job :) 4 guys watching 1 dig a hole
  2. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

Haha Yep thats how DOT is around here.
  3. frotis

frotis LawnSite Senior Member

How do you know his next stop wasn't a 5 acre job.
  4. noahb195

Because they go home after this stop. His shop is 2 minutes up the road.
  5. frotis

frotis LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe the previous stops where larger jobs or one of 100 different reasons.
  6. noahb195

Yep the possibilties are endless. But its a residential.crew so idont see them doing big properties like that.
  7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I honestly would not sweat it, hard to make money on a residential lawns when you are fully geared up to do commercial. We take them to mix in with some of the commerical accounts to round out the day. Particularly ones 2 or 3 miles from the shop or with in a few blocks off the beaten path to and from a commercial account. While residentals do not generate a lot of profit, they do cover overhead and some profit.

If you look at commercial accounts, they often have better profit but less opportunity for additional profits. Residential folks do not wrap up services in to a single contract so there are some profit opportunites and if you service the mowing and are fair those jobs are yours.

Running 3 or 4 guys on Residental alone is crazy talk. I currently have 3 but I am training a new guy, growing and hope to split back to two 2 man crews.

If the guys is really paying 4 guys while two work, we know that will not last long at all. Again, likely just a snap shot in time not a routine.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Oh never mind, you're 600 or 700 or so miles too far south from us so it wasn't my guys,
    we usually let them pull those kind of stunts when we're slow, we tell them no smoke or chew
    on the premises and no going to the bathroom but we have plenty of money so it really doesn't
    matter if they blow some cash because the alternative is working for the state, either way we lose.

And if you work hard for a very long time you too can have the same disease we have.
    It's a sickness I am telling you, everyone thinks we have lost our minds.
    We see their fingers pointing.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Maybe he bid the job hourly and wants to make sure he turns a profit? ;)
  10. noahb195

I dont know how he bids but he gets 12 grand a year to maintain like 4 or 5 small areas.