1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is 50:1 ratio Oil on Weed Trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vomeisentor, Oct 18, 2009.

1. vomeisentor

vomeisentor LawnSite Member

I have 2 cycle (?) STIHL FS 110R, and it says to give 50:1 ration oil and gasoline. What is this??? I mean how do I mix it up? I used to just get an one bottle of tiny oil into 1 gallon of gasoline tank and mix with a gasoline shake it and good to go.... now what do I have to do differently? ( I also have STIHL FS85R, and Craftsman chain saw) that I use and use the same mix to operate them. STIHL 110R is new stock I just got from some one and now readilng the manual on it and found this 50:1 ration thing.......

Oh, also is it true you can get WARNING yellow operation sticker that goes to the shaft on my Stihl weed trimmer fre at any Stihl dealer??

2. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the small bottles in the picture. That's two stroke oil. They have different sizes for different gas cans. If you use a 2.5 gallon can you use a smaller bottle than a 5 gallon gas can. Your Stihl dealer will sell you the right size bottle for the gas can you use.

HPULTRAOIL.jpg

3. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

50:1 means for every 50 ounces of gasoline you need to mix in 1 ounce of oil. If you are using a 1 gallon gas can you would take 128 ounces (1 gal) divided by 50 = 2.56.

4. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Read the oil bottle you use to fix for your other stuffs, it should say 2.6 oz. You mix 2.6 oz to one gallon, you get 50:1. This will be the same amount of oil for you old stuff and the new 4Mix trimmer. The thing more important is you should use Stihl Ultra ( white bottle) or Amsoil for the 4Mix. Synthetic is better for your older stuff anyway. Just mix 2.6 oz bottle of Stihl Ultra to one gallon of 89 octane or higher gas, Shake it good and you are good to go.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Buy nothing but Stihl mix oil it is all I use in my Stihl equipment been doing so for the last 12 years never had a carburetor problem and its always worked for me.

I buy the bottles for 2.5 gallons of gas its easy no thinking no measuring dump the oil into my gas can put 93 octane gas in to the right amount. I use the gauge on the gas pump not the full line on the gas can.

I like to mix my gas a little on the rich side so little less gas not much. My mix it says you need 10 litres of gas I put in 9.8 litres of gas.

Never use the fill line on a gas can it isn't accurate especially if you gas can has expanded ie left in the sun it creates pressure inside and stretches the plastic.

I'am particular with my gas for my saws I got that from working with fallers. Keep things clean and keep your fuel mix accurate so you don't burn up a saw.

6. vomeisentor

You guys are AWESOME!!! thank you so much! I will do just that!!!! One tiny STIHL bottle oil Just got from a STHIL authorized service dealer and they told me the exactly the same thing!!! Meaning one tiny mix with 1 gallon would be fine just like my other STIHL FS85R and Chansaw! 4-mix engine still is 2 cycle, (I needed to make sure what this was about), basically emission control for better environment they changed from 2 cycle to 2 cycle 4 mix!

7. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just to clear it up a little for you, 4-mixes are basically a normally 2-stroke + valves. Normal 2-strokes don't have valves, 4-mixes do.

8. vomeisentor

Thank you!!!! Very helpful, but why amsoil ? I thought they were for 4 cycle engines ?

9. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Haha, Amsoil makes all different types of oil. 2-cycle, 4-cycle, hydro, trans, etc. I have never heard a bad thing about Amsoil BTW, aside from the price.

10. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

50:1 meansyou mix half oil with half gas.
    Posted via Mobile Device