What is a Berm???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sstem, Apr 4, 2002.

1. sstem

sstem LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to put a berm in her front yard? I have never heard of this, can anyone help me out?:confused:
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Imagin a horse buried in her front yard and they didn't take the extra dirt away :)

A berm is a gentley graded hill about 2'-3' tall
  3. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

In Arizona, a "berm" was a long narrow hill maybe 4 - 6" tall. They were used to keep water in the yard when it was flood irregated. Usually you took water every other week. You had to maintain the berms so there were no low spots and the water could not escape or get into your home. Berms were build around the house as well.

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Also the 'footprint' of the berm is usually rectangular, or long and narrow. Not a circle--which would be a hillock.
  5. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

Cool, new one for the vocabulary.I've never heard of a hillock. What would it be called if it was long and narrow and curved?
  6. site

site LawnSite Member

A kidney shaped berm?
  7. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

A berm is a hill in an otherwise flat area that can be any height, length, or shape. ONe general rule that I have been taught is that you make the base of the berm three times the height. If you have a berm 3' tall then it should measure 9' across. WHen planting on a berm, don't plant a straight row across the middle of the top, place some plants up and down the slope and you can plant some on the middle area, but keep it random.