1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is a going rate for an acre?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I pay 12-$1400 a month for all that on me and a part time guy. I make a decent living but by the time I pay for all my material, payroll, truck payment, equipment payments, insurance and all the other overhead there's not much left over at the end of the year. I only pay myself a couple thousand more a year than I made at the FD. If I can't at least do that, I need to find another job. What I am trying to say is everyones situation is different for different reasons. I think it's great that all your stuff is paid for. One of these days it will have to be replaced and it's going to cost you more than what you live life on right now without those payments. If you are saving for those future replacement costs, you're covered. If not....
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

It comes down to this!!!!!

It isn't what you charge for a service.....it is what you net at the end of the day!

It sounds like you charge more, but your costs are a lot higher. And that is why I said earlier to just know your costs and make a profit.

I am a sole prop!

From what you are saying....I think it is safe to say that a smaller guy has a lot of advantages over a bigger business!

As far as replacing equipment....you are correct! Yes equipment has to be replaced, but if you take care of what you have that will have to be done what....every 5-10 years?

I think it is best to upgrade as you go!
  3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I am sure the cost of living is different but I am wondering the difference in fert prices based on where you live. Are most of the FErt production done where there is an abundance in farming? If so it would mean that the guys that work closer to the production areas would pay less than someone far away. I think everything is relevant to what your cost to live is, i have heard stories of a gallon of milk costing over $8 gallon in Hawaii
  4. advanced irrigation

advanced irrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from tx

is $637.50 an acre for weed control high?
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Very well said!

I was out in IL this week and they raise 250 Bu corn, and we here in OH usually raise about 140-180 Bu corn! That means they GROSS about 50% more then I do.

You would think that these farmers would make much more then use here in OH, BUT their costs are 2-3 times higher then ours!

They HAVE to raise 250 Bu corn to make a good profit, where I can raise 150 Bu corn and make more money per acre then them!

It is just like this in lawncare! This week was a BIG eye opener for me as I guess I don't get out much!
  6. ted putnam

Hey Rodney,

I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I wasn't trying to irritate you. I was just pointing out evryones situation as being different. I just S Corp'd a little over a year ago. Before that I was like you. I had to do it. Taxes were killing me. Self employment tax is 15% of everything. If you incorporate it's 15% of net profit. Big Difference. I want to cry every month on the 15th when I write those checks. I used to be able to stick most of that back in the bank. I will be interested to see just how much it's helped me this year. Everyone needs eye openers occasionally. I've had my share on here. It's good to see what others across the country are doing and how they run things. Networking with others. It helps keep you on your toes. makes you more competitive with the local adversaries.
  7. ted putnam

Just a little!!!!!!!
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Heck no, not at all!

We just all do things differently, and as you said it is neat to discuss them as we all have plenty of room to learn!
  9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO