What is a good 20 in. mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tomoaktree, Feb 27, 2001.

1. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

I need a good commercial trim mower for small yards,tight areas and small hills where my zero turn and wb run into scalping ,digging and uneven cut.Any suggestions?

2. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

not sure if i'm one to take advice form because i'm just startun out, but i have a toro personal pace mower. Its the best. I also have a crapsmen. I won't say what a waste that was.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Honda that I got new in early 80's. Still cranks on 1st pull. But I only put it on the trailer for about 1 lawn now. It runs about 2 minutes. :)

Let me say this, if I was looking for one these days I would not buy something that expensive. Not to many people cut with them long. Now days people upgrade to bigger commercial equipment. I would buy a cheap 21. Spend your money were it counts and a 21" is not it.

[Edited by 65hoss on 02-28-2001 at 01:00 AM]

4. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

There are alot of new mowers out this yr. I just saw them last week. John Deer is putting out a new line that looks good as well as Toro. You will hear alot of people tell you to get the commercial grade mowers ($800-$1000), but I really dont think they are worth the extra money. In the past I've used the lawnboy self propell 3 in 1. Stay away from the Tecumsas (poorly built) and the 2 strokes (burn too much fuel and have exhaust problems). Good luck.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use the John Deere 21 inch self propelled mowers. Mulch it, bag it or side discharge it.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

honda 21 inch mowers are awesome. i too have one that is 14 yrs old and still running like new. i also give a good word for the small honda trimm mower.

7. klite

klite LawnSite Member

I saw a 21" JD the other day with swivel weels on the front W/6.5 Briggs commercial. Looked pretty sturdy to me,was 3n1 also.

8. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 old snapper 21 in. p/mowers I've had for yrs.

9. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I use an older Tru-Cut 21" rotary - rear bag.

Not too heavy, the handle/deck attachment is real stiff, so manuveuring it around things is no problem.

check it out (not sure what the Mfr site is - but here's a distributor):

http://www.trupower.com/trupower/trucut/rotary_mowers.htm

They come with a bigger engine now - which is a good idea in heavy kikuyu or st augustine in the summer

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with 65 hoss! Dont spend your money on a trim mower. I use mine about 15 minutes a week! Get a cheap $100 mtd and take the other 800-$900 and buy a new trimmer and back pack blower! at 100 bucks... you might have to replace it every couple years.... big deal!