What is a good 21 inch mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Jul 7, 2005.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I need a 21 inch mower that will be used for one account. It will be used for about 45 minutes about 40 times per year so I dont want to spend alot on it. I would like to spend between $250-400. It doesnt have to be commercial. Any ideas?
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The $99 walmart special. When its time to service it. Just throw it out and buy a new one. Since it will cost you $40 in parts to service it. I have seen a few guys do that. When its time to change to oil. They just buy a new one.

Personal I would get a nice honda mower. Since they seem to last forever.
  3. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

I would have to say to go Honda for the money you want to spend. I have a friend that has been using the same 21" for the last four years on most of his accounts. Just do the required maintenance and they last forever.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Before you buy ANYTHING at Walmart you should check into their ethics. I doubt you'd ever go there again, you'd be crazy if you did.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Toros Personnel pace mower.
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Strangely I agree with IGBG.. Although I gotta go with the like $160 6hp High wheel push model.. I believe the big plastic wheels at least have bearings, and are very easy to push, and they mulch pretty good too.
  7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

My first 21 was from Walmart i only use it maybe 3 times a week for two hours tops it lasted me over two years without any service.Finally had an issue with the throttle cable this year and just junked it. Well worth it for 1 account imo.
  8. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

I was able to find a 2-cycle Lawnboy Silver series model 10324 for under $ 400.00, which is a pretty good mower.

Good Luck
  9. Holistic Landscapes

Holistic Landscapes LawnSite Member

I bought a HONDA 4 cycle residential mower.. and it even had a double blade! Freak'n think choked on 6 inch grass or 5 inch grass slightly wet from the morning dew, and kept stalling! I returned it to HOme depot after I used it! It was horrible.... Second only push mower that you should buy is Lawn Boy! Get the 2 cycle mowers, the cut is much cleaner, the control on the machiene is better, plus the freak'n things are made in America... tell honda to take a walk!
  10. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

go to home depot and buy a toro personal pace mower like mentioned before in the past years i have had the 22 inch toro personal pace mower and only payed 350 for it and i was doing over 10 accounts a week with it this year i have over 20 accounts now and dont have the time for it anymore so i got a 52 inch lesco but the toro still runs great today and has been used for 2 years with over 10 accounts a week