1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what is a good 36' or 48' mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnranger44, May 19, 2003.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

My brother and I have a small lawn mowing business. We have two 21' self-propelled mowers and we are going to get a bigger mower. We are looking for a used 36' or 48' mower. Do you think we should go big with the 48'? How much should a used 36'/48' cost? Also, should we try to get an Exmark or should we find an off brand? what's your opinion?
  2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have yet to see a 36' or 48' mower. :rolleyes:

You could always go with a 48". ;)

I have a snapper 48" hydro and It works great for me. Although ALL of the lawns I do are 1500-2000sf. I am looking @ a 36"er soon.

It depends what size lawns and how many gated props you have. Also get the best you can afford. :)
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Ease of maneuverability to cut anywhere, front or back yards
    Smoothness of cut ...with beautiful mark in addition to quick trailering...go 36" eXmark with sulky or a 36" Stander.
    Anything bigger than 36" have to be a ZTR.

PS: as soon as you get the 36 er, Sell your 21" all cause there is no use, besides you don 't want kids in the hood to see so many 21" on your trailer. (I sold all my 21" and got stihl equipment...love it)