What is a good DO meter?????

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Prolawnservice, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Ok made my first big batch of tea(50 gal) with my homemade brewer, looks a little on the light side biology wise:cry:. SO, what is a good DO meter to buy for starting out, and or which one should I save up for? Where to purchase from? Are the ysi 58 that are all over ebay for like $100 worth it or should I get a new one with a warranty? Hopefully Tim will chime in on this one, Thanks everyone.:waving:

PHOT0029.jpg

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.php

take a look at this place its not a garden site but you should find some new toys here.

stop using the declor, its not the best, try vit.C or vinegar

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

What was your compost source, home grown? Hey you should pat yourself on the back, you made your first batch and got to use your microscope. VERY COOL
    :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

Do the first batch dance

4. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

5. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Looking for some context here.....

Coming from a guy making tea with a five gallon bucket and a bubbler from a fish tank: What the H3ll is a DO meter and why should it be my latest dirt toy?

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using the Extech 407510 so far this year with good results. It goes for $400 at most places, but I found it for $350 a little bit ago and pulled the trigger. The only downside I heard about the PinPoint II is the probes don't last too long, but that all depends on how much tea you're brewin'.

I clean mine off with distilled water, because our water is very hard, and the hard water can form a build up on the probe over time.

7. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

NattyLawn, the probe itself or the probe end/membrane? I had heard the same thing but thought it was just the tip so I bought extras.

8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

where did you get your microscope?

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The probe tip/membrane. Sorry for the confusion.

10. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

7lbs of professionally made compost, from a NOFA approved composter I was able to track down in northern NJ. 1lb of home made worm castings. Ok just a little first batch dance :cool2::cool2:I'll save some for the first real good batch.