1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is a good head for my Honda HHT35 string trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeNSX, Jun 5, 2008.

1. MikeNSX

MikeNSX LawnSite Member

Hello all. I'm asking for a little advice from the pros. I just got a Honda 4 cycle HHT35 but it came with a manual feed head. I'd like to add an automatic bump head and I have a few questions.

First, I wonder why it came with a manual feed head? My trimmer has the U-handlebars and brush blade. The Honda loop handle trimmers all come with a bump-feed head.

It looks like the Honda brand heads hold 20' of line. I've seen other heads on the internet that hold over 40'.

Can anyone recommend what head I should get? Do I need to stick with the Honda brand?

Also, what line is best? I trim about 2,000 feet of split rail fence.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
  2. one-jene

one-jene LawnSite Member

I use the Honda Pro-Tap string trimmer head. Part number 72560-VF9-C33AH. You can get it from your local Honda dealer or Plano Power Equipment for about $22.92. It will hold 50 feet of .105 trimmer line and easy to reload. I prefer to use square trimmer line in it. The manual trimmer head works well but after a while gets to be tiresome to advance the string if you use the full harness.
  3. MikeNSX

MikeNSX LawnSite Member

Thanks for replying. I ordered the Honda Pro Tap.

Would you use 1.05 or .95 string in it for trimming around fence posts?
  4. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Honda seems to think that commercial guys prefer manual feed heads and will not ship the bike handle 35 with anything but the manual head. I don't know about other areas, but in my locale about 90% of our commercial customers use bump heads. Often swapping the manual head for a bump head is the deal maker in selling one of those units. I prefer the Husqvarna T35 head to just about any other head and they are a direct fit on the Honda trimmers.
  5. one-jene

one-jene LawnSite Member

I prefer to use the 105 line. There is more material to wear compared to the 095 line. However, most of my trimming is around chain link fences and around cemetery stones.