1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What is a good material to go under a swing set?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by birddseedd, Apr 10, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

still wood tho. wouldnt be fun to fall on
  2. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's what I will say about that rubber mulch. Whatever color you get, be prepared for everything to be stained that color. Kids shoes, clothes, socks etc. And also, I was in 5th grade when my school got that stuff and we all thought we were indestructible on it because it seemed so soft to land on. I think there were ten kids at school who broke arms during the first month of having it, I being one of them. The school removed it the following year and went back to wood chips. If you've got kids, I'm thinking just about anything you put down will get tracked in the house, but I think wood chips or pea gravel are best.

YardBros Outdoors
  3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

That's interesting, I don't know the statistics, but I could see how kids would think there indestructible with it.
  4. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

Kids think they are indestructible no matter what...
  5. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a good point haha sometimes i still think I am

YardBros Outdoors
  6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I have pea gravel under the swing set at my house. Falling on anything will hurt. I hate the pea gravel in my grass
  7. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with cpllawncare.
    Rubber mulch
  8. TFLE

TFLE LawnSite Senior Member

The rubber mulch is awesome... sweet stuff. If your looking to be cost efficient then I would say chips is a solid option. You could always go regular mulch, it's dirty though but I do have some customer who have it. I would look and see what other "recycled materials" are out there. You may be able to get ground rubber that isn't necessarily "rubber mulch". just spitballing ideas.
  9. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

did three enclosures last season and one very large one the season before. the pea gravel is the way to go

one time and done--no refreshment
    drains water better so there are more "playable" days on the set--even in the spring and after rainstorms
    very inexpensive
    cushions falls well--my son has taken some quality falls and he has been fine (knocking on wood)

cons to the rubber
    very expensive
    very hot on the feet when in direct sunlight--surface of the sun hot
    blows away with strong wind and/or blowers
  10. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Hay (whatever variety is least expensive in you area) over play sand.