1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what is a good per acre price for a land clearing?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Right Touch, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Right Touch

Right Touch LawnSite Senior Member

im bidding on a 37 acre land clearing job that I've basically already been hired for because i know the owner of the environmental company. All I have to do is make sure my price is "within reason". The only problem is I've never done anything on this scale before. I will be renting the equipment to do the work and have my tree guys doing all the large tree removal. I need a price for clearing and piling about 25 acres of basically an overgrown field that hasnt been mowed in a couple years. There really isnt any large brush. Ive attached pictures for a reference. Any help with the pricing would be appreciated.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Can't really say...Around here, I can get that done for around 20 to 40 dollars an acre.
  3. Right Touch

that must be a typo or you are pulling my leg cuz i dunno anyone who would even cut a lawn for $20 an acre, let alone clear a field.

I've done some searches and seen prices ranging from $3000-$5000 an acre. I've got to get this bid in tomorrow. I dont want to lose money on this job so I wanna bid it high enough. Someone please give me a reasonable answer :dancing:
  4. Danny Boy

Danny Boy LawnSite Senior Member

If the ground is in good shape underneath and you can run conventional mower equipment then I don't see where anyone could charge even close to $1000 per acre. So how IS the ground?
  5. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

$3,000 - $5,000 per acre is what they normally get for areas with lots of trees and vines, and that only includes cutting the trees down, and hauling... stumping is quite a bit more. It looks like your job is mostly brush hogging, with a few small trees here and there.
  6. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

$100 per acre max. it's just grass man. if your gonna take down those couple trees here and there just charge that separate by the hr.
  7. EcoGreen Services

EcoGreen Services LawnSite Member

It's hard to say from the picture but that field look like it's timothy and alfalfa. There is value to that as hay. That's where the money is to be made.

If that's the case here is how I would quote it.

My Costs @ my billing rate for a 50hp Utility tractor & Operator
    25 Acres @ 3.0 Acres per Hour
    8.33 Hours X $75/Hour = $624.75
    (Cutting with a Sickle then a quick pass with a BushHog after Bailing)

25 Acres @ 1.5 Acres per hour
    16.66 Hours X $75/Hour = $1249.50

6 hours @ $75/hour = $450

Hauling $300

Costs $2624.25
    Quote to customer
    $2624.25 X 1.5 = $3936.38

Cost to Customer $157.45 Per Acre

The key to making money on this is YOU keep the hay
    A conservative estimate is 2tons of Hay per Acre.
    Hay Yield 50 Tons
    50 Tons = 100 Large round bales @ $85/Bale (Current price here for mixed forage around here) = $8500 PROFIT !

Profit for the job
    When factoring in Labour & Equipment costs I am making $26/hour for the operations.

30.99 hours @ $26/hour = $805.74 (and this is paying a operator $22 a hour) If I'm doing it myself I'm making $48 /Hour
    Value of Hay $8500

Total Profit for the job $9305.74

When pricing a job keep in mind all sources of possible revenue.

I think the prices you are seeing of $3000-$5000 a acre have to be for clearing heavily forested area. Even that seems high, Around here you can get heavy bush cleared for about $700 a Acre.

Maybe I should move down that way.
  8. ShawnH

ShawnH LawnSite Member

From the pic it looks like you would be fine going in at $100 an acre and figuring two days. Its always different in person but from the pic I would be happy going in with my CAT 289 and a radial mower for $2,000 in the hopes that it would be a trouble free two days. Then for the few trees your talking about the cheap way would be to chain saw them down and stack them up using the graple bucket. Then grind the stumps but I guess it all depends on what the end result really needs to be.
  9. well hell if your wanting to buy a house off this I would give him a price of $6000.00 per acre, might as well get a nice house.
  10. Right Touch

love it. i may just do that