What is a good price on a 36" Scag??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Dec 5, 2003.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have not priced any in years but due to getting several smaller lawns, several with hills I'm looking into getting a smaller and lighter mower to use. I currently use a Great Dane Scamper, at 600+ pounds it can be tricky on hills.

Anyway, my local dealer has a Scag 36" gear wih 72 hours, it was owned by a homeowner. It includes a sulkie and looks new, it's a 2002 model. He wants $1700 for it, a fair price?

Opinions?

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Somebody mentioned in another post that they bought a new Scag 36" for around $2200, so with the low hours and sulky that doesn't sound like too bad a price.

3. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

When I was pricing WB's this past june, the Scag dealer wanted $2495 for a 36" belt drive without a velke and $2999 for a 48". I wonder what the dealer would say if you offered him $1500?

4. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Did you also price a brand new 36" unit with sulkey from this dealer ? I would guess the price of a new one would be about $2600 or $2700 with the sulkey. Then there is tax to pay also, and there is a lot less tax on $1700 than on $2700.
    Since you say that it has so few hours, and it still even looks new [It's really not even fully broken in] It sounds like a very fair price for for this Scag to me.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

New was $2600, I think I may get this one after a wek trial, need something for taxes. Also looking to get a Tru-Cut 25" at the same time