What is a good set-up for equipment?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Jan 9, 2008.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Can i get by with just a perma green and a nurse tank and a few push spreaders and pack back sprayers. I want to do ornamentals (limiting myself to shrubs) and bug bands around the house along with turf. Looking for some feedback.

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I am hardly an experienced applicator, but how much acreage are you talking about? For me, doing postage stamp residentials, a couple of 4 gallon back pack sprayer will get me by with a 50 gallon tank of water on the truck. I sure would not want to try that on a 1 acre property though. I also will be getting some 32 oz atomizers. Why? because if I just do some spot spraying with glycophosate in 9 sq foot sections, I don't have to notify any neighbors of an application. Stupid law... but there are some work-arounds.

How big are your crew(s)? How much property are ya talkin?

3. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

My average size lot is around 30k so they are fairly large accounts. The smallest is about 10k and the highest is around 80k.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you'll be fine with that. I no longer use my skid sprayer.

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Outta my league.... sorry I couldn't help.

PS: My accounts run 3-4k to 8k tops Completely different animal.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Whitey--I see your point. I am happy with carrying 32 oz pump up hand sprayers. They work great. I usually have three in my pickup. Different products such as Speedzone, Drive, Sedgehammer.

I just talked to salesman at the Turf conference. Drive will have a liquid formulation coming early this year. Two quarts per acre rate.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I just talked to the Drive salesman at the Michigan GLTE trade show. Drive will have a new liquid formulation this coming spring. Use 2 quarts per acre.

Also listened to De Fred Yelverton from North Carolina State. He will post his talk about weed control products and practices, or at least the slides. His 2008 talk is not posted yet. Here is link to his similar 2007 talk.
    http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/extension/presentations/2007/TiftonTurfConf07.pdf